Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Hard top only C1 Vettes

Ciccio

Corvette
1961 C1 Corvette
I was not aware that the 1961 C1 vette was available in hard top only?
Are these able to be retrofitted with a soft top?
And if not I suppose that they are not that sought after?

'56 to '62 were available in soft top only, both tops, or hard top only. Hard top only is rather rare but they are seen from time to time. I used to cruise the streets years ago in a hard top only '57 fuel injection. A convertible top can be installed in a hard top only by installing all of the soft top hardware and the latches on the rear deck lid. The deck lid latches would be the hardest part to install as all the mounting holes are already there for everything else. You would need to make an exact template off of another lid to be sure to get them in absolutely the correct position. It might be easier to just buy a used deck lit for a 2 top car.

Tom

Once again, Mr. Bryant is spot on with his response

'56 to '62 were available in soft top only, both tops, or hard top only. Hard top only is rather rare but they are seen from time to time. I used to cruise the streets years ago in a hard top only '57 fuel injection. A convertible top can be installed in a hard top only by installing all of the soft top hardware and the latches on the rear deck lid. The deck lid latches would be the hardest part to install as all the mounting holes are already there for everything else. You would need to make an exact template off of another lid to be sure to get them in absolutely the correct position. It might be easier to just buy a used deck lit for a 2 top car.

Tom

Hi Tom,
Thanks for your reply, I am pursuing this car in the States the moment and I went a bit cold on the deal when I heard that it was only a hard top, but if a soft top can be fitted I will continue with the negotiations, it is a New Jersey car.

Thanks again,
Ciccio.

Good luck on your quest. I hope it turns out to be a great car. They are a lot of fun.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom