Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Harmonic balancer (hub) seal

D95

Corvette
1995 black convertible
I have a 95 LT1 stock. I replaced all of the seals and opti,waterpump pan gasket and hub seal.The hub is still leaking. I had a stainless steel sleeve put on with GM seals and the hub is still leaking.I put dye in the motor and it is definitely the hub seal.GM does not have the part and I think it is discontinued(hub).I believe the p/n is 12553250.Did this happen to anyone else on the forum?
Does anyone know of a good aftermarket hub?I guess my old hub has a groove in it .
Thanks for your help

I did the same repair to my 93 LT1 last spring. The hub was still available then so I didn't try the sleeve repair option. I could offer up a guess that maybe a little sealer between the sleeve and hub might do the trick in case any oil is getting out between them.

Did you lube the lip on the seal before you installed the hub? A "dry start" can destroy the seal in short order...

GM seals come with tiny drops of lubricant around the perimeter of the seal.I looked at that real careful.I'm in the process of trying to locate a new hub because if the grooves in the hub are to large it will leak no matter what you do to it.(this is what I was told)
thanks for your input

Worst case, if you can't find an OE replacement hub, you could install either a Fluidampr balancer or a Jegs Performance "house brand" balancer. I have a Fluidampr on my LT-1 equipped '96 Z-28.

Thank You

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom