Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Harmonic balancer is wobbling.

wishuwerehere82

Corvette
Red '82 Coupe,Sebring Silver '98 Coupe
I was putting my 82 L83 away for the winter today, when I noticed my harmonic balancer is out of center and looks like the rubber is extruding out the back.
What are my options?
Do I need to replace anything other than the balancer itself?

Thanks in advance.

You should be OK just replacing the balancer, unless it's loose on the crank snout and has damaged the seal. When you install the new one, put some grease on the seal lip so it doesn't "start dry", and use the proper balancer install tool (not the balancer bolt), and use some sealer in the key groove to eliminate that as a possible leak path.
:beer

Reminds me of that song "Flirting With Disaster".

You know it is just beating up your rod and main bearings right?

You should be OK just replacing the balancer, unless it's loose on the crank snout and has damaged the seal. When you install the new one, put some grease on the seal lip so it doesn't "start dry", and use the proper balancer install tool (not the balancer bolt), and use some sealer in the key groove to eliminate that as a possible leak path.
:beer
While you're in there I recommend you replaced the harmonic balance seal also. Follow John Z's instructions and you shouldn't have any problems. Note: you will have enough room to replace the harmonic balance seal. It's going to be tight but it can be done. I use a seal puller with a shortened handle or you can use a bent #2 screwdriver and then use the leverage of the screwdriver to pop it out. Also add some sealer on the outer diameter of the new seal and make sure the timing chain cover is clean before installing the new seal. There are some part stores where you can rent or even borrow for free seal pullers and seal installers.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom