Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Harmonic Balancer Replacement

mjsmm

Corvette
99 Mag. Red Conv.
I'm getting ready to replace my balancer and, while going through the service manual, it says to remove the starter (?). Can anyone tell me why the hell I have to remove the starter in the rear of the motor to change the balancer? I haven't crawled under the car to see what possible reason there might be for that, but I was just curious if anyone had already done this without removing the starter. I figure the less parts I have to remove, the less chance I have of screwing something up!

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

I'm hoping that GMJunkie, or one of our other experts check in here. I'm like you, removing the starter doesn't make a lot of sense. But I'm no professional mechanic.

I'm getting ready to replace my balancer and, while going through the service manual, it says to remove the starter (?). Can anyone tell me why the hell I have to remove the starter in the rear of the motor to change the balancer? I haven't crawled under the car to see what possible reason there might be for that, but I was just curious if anyone had already done this without removing the starter. I figure the less parts I have to remove, the less chance I have of screwing something up!

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Not sure, but my guess is to access the ring gear to be able to lock the engine to torque the retaining hardware.

Not sure, but my guess is to access the ring gear to be able to lock the engine to torque the retaining hardware.

Yep, you're right. I just reread a section I skimmed over the first time. I'm supposed to get a flywheel holding tool to hold the engine in place when I do the final installation torqued at 250 lb-ft. Need to double check to see if my torque wrench goes that high!

You may want to watch the video(s) I posted on harmonic balancer r&r (click below).

Good luck, it's a pretty big job (pulling the rack etc.)

Do NOT replace with a GM balancer, as you already know they are less than stellar.

:)

Yep, you're right. I just reread a section I skimmed over the first time. I'm supposed to get a flywheel holding tool to hold the engine in place when I do the final installation torqued at 250 lb-ft. Need to double check to see if my torque wrench goes that high!

You can make or buy an extension to pull higher torques. I made two of them for different torques. It also makes pulling higher torques much easier since YOU are not actually pulling that hard. If you want to make your own you can PM me. My total cost was about $10. It will require welding which a welding shop could do.

Depending on how you extend the torque wrench it may have an affect on torque. The short form is if an regular straight socket extension is added, it has no effect.

Torque Wrench Extension

I totally agree. Sometimes I assume too much. I also matters if the extension is off to an angle (not in a straight line with the torque wrench). Normally that is not an issue and you don't need to calculate for that.

Can anyone recommend a Harmonic Balancer with the biggest bang for the buck for my 81 Corvette. Prices are all over the place and I have no idea why one is better than the other. I'm seeing prices from $50 to over $350.
Thanks in advance

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom