Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Has anyone had this issue in the cold only?

Tigershark_11

Corvette
2000 pewter convertable 6m
I have a 2000 vette and I only drive it in the summer but now that the weather is around 40 I did notice it squeeks a lot going over bumps. Does the shocks not like cold weather it never happens in the summer only around temps hitting somewhere around 40 degrees and below. Do I need to oil the shocks or is there something else that needs oiling?

Thanks, Bob

I have a 2000 vette and I only drive it in the summer but now that the weather is around 40 I did notice it squeeks a lot going over bumps. Does the shocks not like cold weather it never happens in the summer only around temps hitting somewhere around 40 degrees and below. Do I need to oil the shocks or is there something else that needs oiling?

Thanks, Bob

I'd have to drive the car to be sure, but I doubt it's a problem with shocks.

Most likely, it's control arm bushings which are squeaking. On older car, it's not uncommon to have a "bushing squawk" when the weather gets cold and damp.

The suspects are the control arm bushings and the stabilizer bar mount bushings and I'd be looking at the stab bar bushings, first.

The ultimate solution may be replacement, but the stab bar bushings can be easily lubricated fairly easy. Just remove the bar and coat the inside of the bushings with grease or better yet some of the lubricant that some aftermarket suspension parts vendors carry.

If you've got control arm bushings which squeak, sometimes rubber lubricant will temporarily stop the squwaking but, in the end, replacement is usually necessary

I had the same problem on my 2000 and it was the "dog bone" links at the end of the torsion bar. I also changed the bushings since I was under the car.

Is it a hard job to do and is it expensive? Is that only in the front or also in the rear? If someone has pics that would help a lot to get an idea exactly what needs to be done. Thanks for you help guys. :beer

Bob.

I have the same issue in the rear of my car. Actually, since I put the car through its paces on the race track at Summit Point I'm not sure that I've noticed it since then. ;) Eventually I will be replacing these components on my suspension as well.

Leon

Here you go!! It would be my guess that it's the stabilizer bushings!! Haven't seen a C5 yet that don't do it after a little time!! Mine had them replaced 2 times by Chevrolet in a year!! After the warranty run out I just modified and lubed the bushings and it's not squeaked for over 30,000 miles!!:upthumbs

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96351

Junk gave me directions on how to modify the stabilizer bushings and since I've done that and lubed them I haven't heard a squeak.

Maybe one of you two could enlighten us with the modification?:confused

Note the link that junk put in his post. It contains this information:

Won't work!! Been There,Done That!!:upthumbs I took the 2 centers out(4 bolts and the bar will drop down) and spread the thick rubber bushings open and took a dremmel and cut 6 very small slits about 1/2 inch long and 1/32 deep in the middle of the bushing crosswise not to the edge around the bushing,this made a small place that would hold Molly wheel bearing grease!! Put it back together and it's been fine for 18,000 miles!!! Chevrolet replaced them twice before under warranty and they started squeaking within 3,000 miles!!Spray lube cant penetrate to the inside and they are very tight so they squeak!!When or if they start again,I'll pull it down and grease it again, it will take about 10 min.!!! I've done this to several of my customers cars and so far No Complaints!!:upthumbs:upthumbs PS I do this to the rear too!!

Mine just started squeaking in the last week...

Junk's got it right, without the slits in the bushings the lube will work it's way out and you will be doing it all over again.

Thank goodness I saw this posting my 2000 started squeeking a couple of weeks ago and I'd had the time to look into the problem. Now, I will be able to go right to the possible problem areas.

Junk's got it right, without the slits in the bushings the lube will work it's way out and you will be doing it all over again.
Hey Man, theres more to "The JunkMan" than just another "Pretty Face"!!!
:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie
attachment.php

Think a dealer would do this if I brought a copy for them to read? :confused
They might need pictures! ;LOL

Nah, if it was Junk's halo it would have been slotted and drilled. :boogie:boogie

Hey guys, maybe i am a moron, but I am having the same problem. Just started. I would like to do this fix, just have a couple questions.
Which way to the slits have to run? How deep are they made?

Thanks

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom