Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Has anyone here ever taken out a loan to pay for a new engine?

It's getting that way with my guitars and guns. You get one and then you want more; you know, to add variety! :D

But, yours is a '67 Bob...

front-end-done2-350.jpg

Supposedly, it makes sense to pour money into that. It doesn't make as much sense to put the same amount into a C4, eh? Would you put a hundred into a C4? ;)

Edmond said:
Good tired or bad tired? :L
Good tired: Like--Man! I just did 3 positions in an hour! Really! Try it if you can just to see. Even if you don't have a...ahem...problem. Of course, YMMV but it will all be positive. The trick is to take the smallest dose first and don't over do it. If you have a heart issue, check with your doctor. Mainly because your body may not be able to keep up with your, you know, while your at it. Warning: it's a bit addictive (not like cocaine-bad). Just use it sparingly and not everyday you know. ;)

BTW, I try not to think about how much $$ I've put into my 'Vette. And it's not even finished yet, nor have I put much into the powertrain. It's mostly stock. Just restoration stuff and keeping it in tip-top shape. Like Ken, I'm a bit embarassed to let people know I threw all that money into a C4.

Well, I hate to admit it BUT back when I was a young lad, in 1973 I had a 57 FORD RANCHERO! (Wish I'd never sold that car). One morning the number 2 connecting rod on the 292 let loose up near the wrist pin and before the crank quit spinning, holes were smashed into each side of the block. I started dialing all over Santa Barbara, Ventura and the San Fernando Valley and the least expensive "Y" block I could find was in the neighborhood of $1500, cash and carry.

I had made a few measurements as to the external size of the block, placements of the engine mounts and clutch cover. I then walked about a local "Recycling Centers" with my tape measure, and noted the size of other Ford engines. There was quite a few 390's available. I asked the fellow who did most of the wrenching at the one place if he thought a 390 would go in, as the overall size was fairly close and distance forward from the clutch bellhousing flange was the same. He agreed it was worth a try. I was able to get a 390 out of a 63 T-Bird, and hooked a Warner T-10 to the back with a new flywheel and clutch, had the D/S shortened 2 1/2 inches and rebalanced, and a dual exhaust fabricated all for less than $1200, which I borrowed from Beneficial Finance Company.

After I paid them back, (in the near record time of 6 rather than 36 months), I started getting all these offers for credit cards, Master Card, VISA, AMEX etc... I thought I had headaches then..... let a sailor loose on a WestPAC with plastic... (That's another story)!

Lotsa luck on your project. As with that ole Ranchero, Chevrolet only made so many Corvettes each year. Replacing the engine or any large ticket item, besides keeping it on the road will one day pay for itself, even if it is in the price you get for a sale or trade. Something that runs well will always get a higher price than something that's bee a sitting and you know won't even turnover.

Rogue said:
Good tired: Like--Man! I just did 3 positions in an hour! Really! Try it if you can just to see.
Okay, you've just crossed the line into too much information!!:L:L:L

I would not recommend borrowing money to replace a motor..but if you do...do it relatively inexpensively...

Don't get in over your head...

Just use a good motor.. Not the worlds best...etc..IMO

Balance the projects cost with your finances...

In the end you'll end with a great daily driver.

67HEAVEN said:
If ya'll only knew. :crazy

Based on your picture, if that was taken on Sunday, then I just missed seeing you while I was coming back from WNY. We saw a few of those General Lees on the highway. I believe they were at something called the "Dukes Fest".

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom