Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Has anyone installed Patriot Headers?

Tntruckguy

Corvette
1980 L-48 Red Coupe
Hey guys, I have been doing alot of research on installing Headers on my 80' L-48 and ran across the Patriot brand. Has anyone installed them on a similar model and if so, does anyone recommend them. Also I have been told that I will need the cross member from a 74' to run the dual exhaust out to my brand new magnaflows already on the car.

All commentors welcome!

Patriot Headers!

Well this is unusual, not getting any responses. Why so quiet? Let me re-phrase my question then..........Will just putting on Duals and my current Magnaflows give me the sound I am looking for. I read alot that most headers have to be modified in some way to make them fit...???Is that correct?

Lookin for any comments!

TNTRUCKGUY!

Hey guys, I have been doing alot of research on installing Headers on my 80' L-48 and ran across the Patriot brand. Has anyone installed them on a similar model and if so, does anyone recommend them. Also I have been told that I will need the cross member from a 74' to run the dual exhaust out to my brand new magnaflows already on the car.

All commentors welcome!

Look under the car and see if your crossmember has 2 holes for the 2 pipes. I know that at some point the 2 holes were discontinued. My '76 still had the 2 holes but, a '74 bracket was still needed to hold the 2 pipes.

What transmission is in the car? Autos have a removable crossmember.

Cross Member

My cross member is arched up on the passenger side of the car where the two exhaust manifold pipes meet where the cat was. It then Y's again in a crazy pattern to get to the mufflers. I have an Auto trans th350. It looks like if I found a header to fit I can tuck the duals tight to the car and spill over the back axle somehow. I should be able to install an "H" also. I do think my ground clearance will suffer a little. Is there a Header out there that you dont need to modify on installation?

Thanks for your help!

TNTRUCKGUY

Well this is unusual, not getting any responses. Why so quiet? Let me re-phrase my question then..........Will just putting on Duals and my current Magnaflows give me the sound I am looking for. I read alot that most headers have to be modified in some way to make them fit...???Is that correct?

Lookin for any comments!

TNTRUCKGUY!
TNTRUCKGUY,
Not sure why you aren't getting responses but I suspect very few folks have installed Patriot headers in their Corvette. Most Patriot headers are for trucks as far as I can tell. Your re-phrased question isn't a whole lot more helpful. I take it you have Magnaflow mufflers and you aren't pleased with the sound.

Most headers fit the engine just fine but you usually have to shim the A/C compressor brackets and fabricate an adapter pipe to connect the headers to your exhaust.

If you want to change your exhaust system to headers with true duals, the easiest way is to install a complete kit, like the one Corvette Central sells for your car:
yb.dll

Dual exhaust system with headers and magnaflow mufflers

Description1980-1981
Set Includes:
1956-1982 283/327/350 Tight Tuck Headers
A/C Compressor Brace Spacer
323018 Aluminum Dual Exhaust Pipe-Use with Headers
322069 Header to Exhaust Pipe Flange Bolts
323454 1978-1982 2 1/2" Magnaflow Muffler
323264 2 1/2" Center Hanger Automatic with Dual Exhaust
Note: Headers include Gaskets and Bolts

Here's the link:
http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~dyndetail~Z5Z5Z50000050q~Z5Z5Z527923~P629.00~~~~S39P1CNB5271571824150G~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000050Q#

I installed this system without any issues.....of course have a 700R4 not the THC 350, but still should work

TNTRUCKGUY,
Not sure why you aren't getting responses but I suspect very few folks have installed Patriot headers in their Corvette. Most Patriot headers are for trucks as far as I can tell. Your re-phrased question isn't a whole lot more helpful. I take it you have Magnaflow mufflers and you aren't pleased with the sound.

Most headers fit the engine just fine but you usually have to shim the A/C compressor brackets and fabricate an adapter pipe to connect the headers to your exhaust.

If you want to change your exhaust system to headers with true duals, the easiest way is to install a complete kit, like the one Corvette Central sells for your car:
yb.dll

Dual exhaust system with headers and magnaflow mufflers

Description
1980-1981
Set Includes:
1956-1982 283/327/350 Tight Tuck Headers
A/C Compressor Brace Spacer
323018 Aluminum Dual Exhaust Pipe-Use with Headers
322069 Header to Exhaust Pipe Flange Bolts
323454 1978-1982 2 1/2" Magnaflow Muffler
323264 2 1/2" Center Hanger Automatic with Dual Exhaust
Note: Headers include Gaskets and Bolts

Here's the link:
http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~dyndetail~Z5Z5Z50000050q~Z5Z5Z527923~P629.00~~~~S39P1CNB5271571824150G~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000050Q#

Dual exhaust kit

Thanks everyone for your input! I am ordering the Dual Exhaust kit from Mid America today. I already have the magnaflows on the car. I'll let you know how it all ends up.

TNTRUCKGUY

Solved for now!

Well I got my order from midamerica! I took off the stock exhaust manifolds and cleaned them up and repainted them with 2000 degree hy temp paint (silver) that I got at Advanced Auto. Since I had them off I went ahead and changed the spark plugs. After re installation I bolted on the Dual Exhaust kit from MidAmerica (409 Stainless) modified the mounting brackets that fit exactly where the plate for the cat went and re installed my new Magnaflows. Easy bolt up weekend project. One word of advise, it was nice having the car up on ramps! It made the installation quite pleasant! After a quick test drive, I loved the sound ! It now has a very tasteful rumble and not overly loud at all. The best part was the increase in horsepower.....what a difference even with the stock exhaust manifolds.

IM HAPPY!!!
TNTRUCKGUY:happyanim:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom