Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Has anyone painted thier aluminum intake manifold ??

S

SwaveDave

I have Edelbrocks AirGap rough surface aluminum intake . Id like to paint it a lighter shade of gray if i can. What did you use to do yours ?? Thanks, Dave.
P.S. The Intake is off of the engine right now. I have about 1 week before it has to be returned to the mechanic for assembly. No time for bead blasting. Need to paint it quickly.

Hi Ya SwaveDave. I had my edelbrock rpm painted this year in 2 pack silver and lacquered. Not done many miles yet after rebuild(300) but it's still on ! VettePaul

Wouldnt the paint need to be hi temp for an intake manifold ?? Thanks for the info. Dave

There are guys over here in the UK that have painted their whole block in 2 pack paint. I had a good look at them recentely and they still look good after 6yrs. VettePaul.

Paul, Im not familiar with '2 pack paint' . What is it and where can i buy it ? Thanks, Dave

I'm not sure about in the U.S but over here it is very common. It is just a paint with a hardener that you mix together. Most cars are painted with it now over here. Once painted it goes straight into the workshops oven to cure and has a real good finish. Maybe you can't obtain it in America, but I don't see why not ! Hope you get sorted one way or the other.Paul.

Hi Dave,
Did you ever go with that high volume water pump?

Roy

Paul, Okay ill look into it. Thanks.
I was born in Essex many years ago in a little town called Wansted. My mom was born in Hull , Yorkshire ...and my dad in Essex.

Roy, YES, i went with Stewarts belt driven Stage 3 heavy duty 3/4" shaft water pump. It moves more water becuase my electric fans dont come on as much. It is a high quality pump by the looks of it., and has 6 impellers inside. I like it.

Did you ever get your electric fans ??

Dave

An Essex boy eh Dave. I envy you being over there. My "other half" and I are seriously thinking of moving over to the U.S if we can get in. We are coming over in September to try and set the ball rolling. I'll keep my fingers and everything else crossed. All the Best. VettePaul.

When I port-matched my crossfire intake, I polished up the aluminum nicely with a wire wheel, cleaned well, and then gave several coats of Duplicolor Hi-Temp Aluminum. All most looked chromed it was so shiny. Holding color after a good 30K miles in good old Houston heat.

Dave,
:( Fans are still in box along with duals. To hot here to work in garage. I just step outside an I am soaked. For some reason she is running cooler in this 90+ heat .
Glad to hear that new water pump is cooling. :upthumbs

Roy

Roy,

You need what i have : A centrally cooled garage !! Since im in the business, i got hold of an old but well working central air and installed it for the garage ; its sooo nice on those hot and humid days..even up here in Northern Illinois. I usually keep it at 70 degrees in the garage when im working on Ol BLue !!

Dave

Dupli-Color High Temp Ceramic paint. There's a 500 and a 1200 degree paint. They can also be oven baked. 300 degrees for 2 hours, 400 degrees for 1.5 hours or 600 degrees for one hour. I've only used the black, but I'm happy with it. They can be found at most Wal-Marts or auto part stores. Don't use your own oven, though. Use a relatives' that you don't like. :gap

--Bullitt

Por-15

Por-15 makes a great selction of paints. I used some of their high temp silver on the exhaust manifold bolts. Still looks like the day I put it on.

Thanks fellas for all the good info.

I decided to take my drill and start wire brushing the manifold. SO far , it is turning out great. Nice and shiny. I may leave it like that without painting it a color...and just put a few coats of 'clear' hi temp spray on it for protection.

Thanks, Dave.

One technical reason to put a protective finish on a aluminum intake, is the possibility of a casting vacuum leak. The Egelbrock 2102 (non-EGR) is famous for it. The 3107 casting is better. If you see puddles of gas collecting in the lower part of the in-take, you might have a porous casting leak. I have them power coated, to seal the casting and to protect the finish.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom