Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

has anyone removed smog pump

P

pauld

If I removed the belt driving the smog pump, would this have any adverse effects on the running of my engine?

Smog Pump

Paul,

My smog pump has been disconnected and removed from my 81 Coupe and it hasn't affected the engine at all.
The system seems to only pump extra clean air into the exhaust, mixing with the exhaust fumes and coming out the tail pipe a little cleaner.
That's what I gather it does, I could be wrong of course.

Cheers from OZ

Tony & Tanya

Thanks Tony and Tanya, anyone else done the same thing?

I just took off the Belt to mine the other day and it did not seem to harm anything..

Smog Pumps

By passing the smog pump will not harm the engine performance. As mentioned the pump was designed to introduce more air into the exhaust system. There's an old saying that covers this technology - "the solution to polution is delusion".

Remo
:cool

The A.I.R. pump just pumps air into the exhaust manifold to help complete the combustion process. Thus cleaner exhaust. A lot of people remove them and it does not affect the performance (good or bad). The pump may take two/three hp to run. So any performance gain would not be noticeable. On the other side the performance is not hurt by removing it.

The question is, why do you want to remove it? For HP gains? No noticeable gain so no reason there to remove it. To clean up the engine? Yes, it will clean up the compartment and get "stuff" out of the way so it is easier to work on the engine.

What about emissions in your area? Do they do a visual check? If so you will flunk. Also the pump does help clean up the air. So why pump "junk" into the air for a miniminal HP gain.

Leave it in place. Does not hurt anything and does some good for the air you are breathing. :)

tom...

I not only took the belt off I removed all the emission equipment.
No problems at all.

Dave

We'll do anything for a 1/2 HP. :(

If you plan to ever have a need to replace the belt for resale or for emission testing you had better remove the plumbing as well. Oil or moisture from the exhaust will back-feed into the pump and eventually destroy the carbon vanes and lock up the pump.

I'm with Tom, leave it on and reduce pollution.

Take it off , parts not there = far less things to go wrong and less things to sap hp etc. (Albeit , I think it was Henry Ford who said "Parts not there cost us less , so whatever we put on your engine is needed" or words to that effect)
As to pollution , as one poster mentioned , the fact that we are driving gas guzzlers contributes far more to the global problem than the extra "smog"
I think , like me , most enthusiasts would have their muscle cars tuned to the nth degree and we would thus be a LOT cleaner than a beat up pickup or a 2 stroke motorbike.
On that note , how guilty should we feel for riding these types of Vehicles?
I used to have a 454 Camaro that got at best 2 km/litre (about 6 mpg and at worst 2l/km (around 1-2mpg) - should I be commiting sepeku?:)
Regards
The nicest thing about smacking your head against the wall is......the feeling you get when you stop!!

Removed. No smog testing in my area.

My smog pump froze up on me when away from home and I cut the belt. We never did replace the smog pump. The air tubes leading into the exhaust manifold kept popping out and when they did it sounded like the Mother of All exhaust leaks. I had it tack welded once. When they continued to pop out I removed them and the exhaust manifolds and replaced them with em's from an earlier year vette that had no smog equipment.
Heidi

I believe the purpose of the smog pump is to pump air into the exhaust manifold to combust leftover fuel from the combustion chamber, making for 'cleaner' emissions by taking care of that unburned fuel.

I feel that if you have your engine and its' components tuned and working at optimum, there should be no need to combust in the exhaust manifold.
Combustion chamber = combustion.
Exhaust manifold = exit waste gases (its not another combustion chamber)

Re: Removed. No smog testing in my area.

78SilvAnniv said:
I feel that if you have your engine and its' components tuned and working at optimum, there should be no need to combust in the exhaust manifold.
Combustion chamber = combustion.
Exhaust manifold = exit waste gases (its not another combustion chamber)

I respectfully disagree. The AIR system is used during engine warmup periods before closed loop is achieved, and, to help with CAT warmup so they can do their job more quickly. I may be wrong but I doubt that optimum tuning can assist in this regard completely.

If, like in your case, you had the pump fail and then didn't have it replaced/repaired is one thing, but for others to suggest to remove it just because it is considered to be a parasite is in my opinion ill-informed at best and contributory to HC and CO induced ozone or "smog" at worst.

Where I live we have no emissions testing on vehicles. We just have to worry about getting on the EPA Dirty Air List by exceeding ozone levels during hot wind-less summer days. This causes all of us to pay more for reformulated gasoline, stricter emission requirements, health effects and potential increased cost of living in general for years to come until we can come off of the list.

my nickels worth.

That decision was already made for me. No trace of any emission system was on the car when I bought it. Mine will pass the tailpipe test without it.

Now, I used to own a Jeep Grandwagoneer that had more emissions control equipment than should be allowed by law. I sold it to my cousin in Kansas, who promptly took all of the emissions equipment off. They dyno showed a HP increase of over 30 horsepower without all that junk.

Mine was pulled by a previous owner.

I doubt it would be worth pulling it off, if it was still on. Like several people have said, the potential gains are tiny.

As far as emissions, there's a serious question of whether the smog pumps do anything to remove a significant amount of hydrocarbons (enough to justify the hp loss and weight, both of which will increase the hydrocarbon emissions by lowering the fuel economy), or if they just dilute the exhaust gas so that the emissions are hidden better.

Still, it may very well have an effect, particularly on cars that run significantly rich. I'm half tempted to sort of replace it. I want to install an electric pump to evac the crankcase, and the exhaust manifolds are as good a place as any to dump the air that is removed.

I'm not sure about the flowrate. Anyone know how much air the smog pumps actually flow?

Joe

MaineShark said:
I'm not sure about the flowrate. Anyone know how much air the smog pumps actually flow?

I can't say about CFM flow rate, and of course, it depends on rotational speed of the impellers, different vendors, makes and models etc., but I believe the output is generally around 4 - 5 psi at idle.

Thumper said:
That decision was already made for me. No trace of any emission system was on the car when I bought it.
Thumper, I see that you are in Texas. Did you know that there is a law in Texas that makes it illegal to sell a car that does not have all of its emission equipment in place and working? Have never seen it enforced but it is on the books. As emisson testing spreads in Texas and the requirements get tighter it could jump up and bit some people.

tom...

Thumper, I see that you are in Texas. Did you know that there is a law in Texas that makes it illegal to sell a car that does not have all of its emission equipment in place and working? Have never seen it enforced but it is on the books. As emisson testing spreads in Texas and the requirements get tighter it could jump up and bit some people.

Yes, I've heard that before. I don't know if this applies to a 25+ year old car or not. The full inspection requirement just began in the county I live in last year. Prior to that, it was just a simple safety check (horn, lights, brakes, etc.) I think you can still sell the car, but it might have to be with a salvage title, which would dramatically reduce the value.

My family lives in Wichita, KS, where there is no emissions laws to deal with. So, should I ever want to sell the car, and the state of Texas has a problem with the lack of emissions equipment, then I can easily move the car in Kansas. But I have no intentions to sell my Vette, unless there is someone out there with more money than sense.

The A.I.R. pump has virtually nothing to do with the reduced performance of A.I.R. cars - they were strangled by carburetor and distributor calibrations. The only downside to leaving an old A.I.R. pump on the car is if it seizes, and you can eliminate that possibility (and still pass visual smog checks) by "gutting" the pump and removing the vanes so it in effect becomes simply an idler pulley.
:beer

The smug air pump try's me to drink because of its old and noisy . Want to replace a new one ,but don't know how . Need help
thanks

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom