Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Has anyone used this rebuild service for their Corvettes?

*89x2*

With 60k mi on the car, I was wondering if rebuilding the shock absorbers vs. replacing them would be a good deal ;shrug

Finding this link, I was curious if anyone had any experiences (good or bad) with doing this: http://www.bilstein.com/services.php

The cost seems fair to what a new one would cost (FX3 shock) and wanted to hear everyone's thoughts :beer

If they still offer a custom re-valving job, you can't beat it. It will dramatically change the way the car handles in a postive way. When you put it on "sport" your face will do this ---->:D

I have heard only "Good" things about them. I would not hesitate to use them.

SAVE THE :w

Are the seals on the shocks leaking, or what is prompting you to change /revalve them?

Just curious, as that doesn't seem like very many miles to me.

After driving my other Bilstein equipped Callaways this week - yes, even the red one :W I think the shocks may be getting "soft" on me ;shrug

The car was used (in Texas) for many autocross events and other spirited runs (that is all relative though, since you don't have hills) and I thought it might benefit from rebuilding the shocks ;help

Hey Chris, FWIW... I've heard a lot of people complain that Bilstien needed to replace the valve rod on FX3 shocks. The price they charge for it makes the whole rebuild as pricey or more pricey than just buying new shocks. So unless you want them valved differently than stock, just buying new ones might be easier and cost about the same. They'd also be nice and clean that way, Bilstien doesn't repaint them as part of the rebuild.

If you want the definitive answer on the Bilsteins, I suggest you contact Sam Strano (1-800-729-1831)(www.stranoparts.com) He will lead you in the right direction.
By the way, I have the road race Bilsteins on my SS

I have coilovers coming some day (been waiting a bit now), and was looking into the same things you are asking about. I'd talked to Marc Haibeck who does coilovers on ZR-1's and he'd mentioned the machining of the shock body is pretty easy and any local machine shop should be able to handle it. He said he had the specs if I wanted them, I'll go ahead and ask him to send them and shoot them to you as well. I don't know where I'd go locally to have it done, though, I haven't gotten that far. There's a decent chance I won't put them on the car at all.

Bilstein's website indicates they will do it for $10 per shock.

Chris,
I had Marc Haibeck install coilovers on my ZR1 this past summer.
Bilstein charged $100 each to rebuild the shocks plus, $100 for a new
shaft ( something Marc recommended ).
Bilstein wanted $200 ea. for brand new shocks. That was a no brainer.
I don't know if Marc had the body machined or if he had Bilstein do it. ;shrug

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom