Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Has anyone written... The first 10 things to do?

P

Piet

Folks,

Has anyone wrtitten the first 10 things to do to improve your C3? Bang for the Buck.

I know what the first things are to improve a Camaro... (I have a 1973 LT). However I have not seen a post on the first things to do to improve a C3 vettte (It may have been written.. I just haven't read it)

Good question Piet. :_rockI'm curious to see that myself.

Hope you're enjoying your "new" C3!

:wJane Ann

not to my knowledge...
but we do have the corvette commandments!!! :upthumbs :upthumbs

Excellent idea, the challenge would be to define your start point. For example, if you buy a basket case the order might be:

#1 fix brakes
#2 fix safety belts
#3 fix steering

But if you went for something fresh out of a frame off resto you might say:

#1 VBP suspension upgrade
#2 more agressive cam ...

... and so on.

It occurs to me that it might be possible to develop some kind of computer-based audit. You'd be taken through a whole series of questions about your car - a structured interview, if you like - and at the end you'd be given a list of reccommendations to meet your goals, whether they be more speed, numbers-matching restoration, or something else. This would be a kind of automotive equivalent to the on-line retirement planners that Fidelity and others offer.

Anyone want to commission me?

Of course, this might just take all the fun out of the job.

...the challenge would be to define your start point. For example, if you buy a basket case the order might be:

#1 fix brakes
#2 fix safety belts
#3 fix steering

But if you went for something fresh out of a frame off resto you might say:

#1 VBP suspension upgrade
#2 more agressive cam ...

... and so on.

I think I would like to start with the two assumptions:
  1. The car is a driver. SO... everything works. The car is generally stock or close to stock.
  2. It is not a super rare C3 where modifications would destroy the value (Numbers matching, etc...)
Increase credit line on the old visa:rotfl
:chuckle
I think we found item #1

yeah...increase the credit line... :L

Anyone who asks such an open-ended question inevitably gets the following type of reply...

What are YOUR priorities? What is it you want to improve?
Handling? Go fast? Stop fast? Good looks? Interior?
And What is your budget? No, that's not enough to do 10 things. :L

That is a very good question. It would also depend on what year/options you have in your C3. You're talking about a car that was made for 14 years (which to my knowledge is a record for GM).

If your C3 is a 1970 Big Block, then your list is different from a 1982 CrossFire.

Just a guess, but here would be a fairly universal list:
1) upgrade engine cooling to prevent overheating
2) upgrade intake manifold
3) upgrade headers
4) "upgrade" catalytic converters + full exhaust
5) upgrade camshaft
6) upgrade heads
7) upgrade rollers/rocker arms
8) upgrade carburetor
9) upgrade brakes
10) upgrade suspension

First thing is to determine what you want to do with the car. Stock driver? Show car? Drag strip? Autocross? Impress ricers at stop lights?

Once you know what you want, you can determine where to begin.

:)

For me personally... I am looking for a Autocross/ Cruiser.

I hang out at www.pro-touring.com
Ok...now we're getting somewhere.

A bunch of engine ain't gonna do ya no good if you can't keep the car hooked up and tracking where you want it. First thing I'd do in your case is consider an entire suspension package from VB&P (who just happen to be a supporting vendor here.) It ain't gonna be cheap, but for overall handling, it's the best thing you can do for your 31 year old baby.

While you're at it, might as well buy one of their top-notch brake packages as well. Don't wanna go fast if you can't stop fast!

After that, work on that engine and exhaust.

Those things should keep you and/or your credit card busy!

Since my current C3 is my first vette the first on my list was

"Locate and become a member of the Corvette Action Center"

This is where you get all the great help and advice.

OK...I think I have a starting list...
Yeah, seems like a definite good start. If/When you order from VB&P, don't forget to mention that your are a CAC member. In fact, I think VB&P has some specials going on right now.
I think the VB&P liaison to the CAC is Patty.

As for the steering, if you haven't already, you can get an 'autocross' alignment done which will make steering easier. Not necessarily quicker, but easier ("requiring less effort input") thus more responsive. I have the Gouldstrand alignment settings in one of my vette resto books if you want it.

You can also consider the Steeroids rack & pinion also available from VB&P, however, you'll lose just a hair on your lock-to-lock turning radius.

I started with safety first. Brakes, steering, suspension. That also worked into the comfort area for driving. The C3's put a lot of heat into the interior. I had a heavy duty heat barrier put in. No heat comes in now. Then redid AC, all interior gauges, and radio.
Safety first
comfort second
power last.
Engine upgrades, 3 speed trans to four speed overdrive, rebuilt differential
both swing arms were replaced with the brakes and suspension. Runs and handles great plus is comfortable to drive for 100's of miles. Once that stuff is done then go after the nit picking stuff.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom