Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

hatch release problem

H

hooks

The hatch on my 93 only opens sometimes--it may or maynot open with the key fob or the door button or the button in the console--have to use the emergency cable to open it when not working-replaced the relay in back under the rear package tray--no luck--what else could it be--pleases help.

I am just shooting in the dark here but when a car is as old as 15 years the lubricants have collected a lot of dirt and crude in them. I would try to thoroughly clean the hatch latch mechanism with brake cleaner, to see if it frees up and will work. Be careful with the cleaner and protect the plastic surrounding the hatch latch. On my 93 I had a lot of things that were bound up with old lubricant such as the door locks and keys the hood releases the door hinges etc. I cleaned them up and used a silicone lubricant on them. While your at it spray the silicone on the rubber seals for the windows, doors and hatch, and put a white lube on the hood adjustment bumpers. Good luck and keep us informed on what fixes your problem.:upthumbs

i am pretty sure the hatch release button runs through the micros on the shifter so you dont accidently pop it drivin down the road. check them for proper operation

i am pretty sure the hatch release button runs through the micros on the shifter so you dont accidently pop it drivin down the road. check them for proper operation
Can you give me any insight on how to check?

The hatch release solenoid is a common failure.

Open the hatch and remove the trim covering the hatch relay. Leave the hatch open.

Everytime you press the door hatch release switch you should feel the relay click. When the relay closes, 12 volts is applied to the hatch release solenoid which releases the hatch. The solenoid is part of the latch assembly and I think sells new for around $70.00.

The cable you pull to open the hatch manually is part of the hatch release/solenoid assembly. The assembly is held on by a couple of bolts.

Rear hatch stuck

I am just shooting in the dark here but when a car is as old as 15 years the lubricants have collected a lot of dirt and crude in them. I would try to thoroughly clean the hatch latch mechanism with brake cleaner, to see if it frees up and will work. Be careful with the cleaner and protect the plastic surrounding the hatch latch. On my 93 I had a lot of things that were bound up with old lubricant such as the door locks and keys the hood releases the door hinges etc. I cleaned them up and used a silicone lubricant on them. While your at it spray the silicone on the rubber seals for the windows, doors and hatch, and put a white lube on the hood adjustment bumpers. Good luck and keep us informed on what fixes your problem.:upthumbs
My latch is stuck closed. I have heard that cleaning and lubricating can help and/or fix problem, however, I do not know how to get to the latch with the glass closed. If you have any advice or can direct me to some one who might know I would be appreciative.

My latch is stuck closed. I have heard that cleaning and lubricating can help and/or fix problem, however, I do not know how to get to the latch with the glass closed. If you have any advice or can direct me to some one who might know I would be appreciative.

There should be a small cable for emergency release located under the trim near the latch. Seems like it is toward the passenger side. You may have to gently pry up the trim piece and use a small dental type probe or bend a clothes hanger so it has a hook at one end to find it. Sometimes it may work itself under the edge of the carpet which ends under the trim piece.

:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom