Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

hatch struts

Bill Heygster

Corvette
1985 red coupe, 2004 red coupe
I just purchased new rear window struts for my "85. The new ones, from Mid America look easy to install, however I can't figure out how to get the original ones off. Anyone done this before.

I just purchased new rear window struts for my "85. The new ones, from Mid America look easy to install, however I can't figure out how to get the original ones off. Anyone done this before.
Almost every day!!!:upthumbs Just pop the small metal clips out at the end of the strut and slip it off,the new strut will just pop back on!!:upthumbs

Please do them ONE at a time! Otherwise you will have a very heavy piece of glass to contend with. :D

SAVE THE :w

Please do them ONE at a time! Otherwise you will have a very heavy piece of glass to contend with. :D

SAVE THE :w
I agree there,it is allot heavier than it looks!!:upthumbs

Thanks for the advice. I got it done. The existing struts may have been some after market types. (car is 22 years old) There were no clips at either end. I unscrewed the socket at the window end and moved the strut toward the inside. It popped right out of the bottom. Then put the socket in a vise and twisted the struct off. It came right out. Reinstalled the socket and popped the new ones on. They do have clips which you pry back with a small screwdriver for removal.
Thanbks again

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom