Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hatch Vent and Auto-x/Street Alignment

93Rubie

Corvette
1993 Ruby Red 40th Anniversary Coupe
So this winter, I was bored and was reading some product reviews here at :CAC, and I came across Hib Halverson's review of the hatch vent. I thought I might try one, so I did.

I used it today for the first time, about 75 out. WOW, so...much cooler in the interior of the car. Windows down, hatch vent in. Cuts down on the wind noise and buffeting at high way speeds. I cannot believe the difference, I think my targa is going to stay in more often now.
I highly recommend if you don't have one.

Also, I performed by own 4 wheel alignment and set the car up fairly aggressively for street use. (I auto-x and don't switch to slicks, too much $$$). I dialed -.5 degrees of camber at all four, reduced the caster to around 5.4. Rear toe is set just to max. factory specs. + or in. Front I dialed in a toe setting of ZERO.

Took it for a drive and immediately could feel the difference. Turn in is much more pronounced and quicker. Grip is higher and the car definitely under-steers less. I did some 8/10 cornering and further confirmed this. Put it this way, before (especially with stock 255's up front), the car had a good bit of understeer at the limit. In 8/10's cornering the nose does not push and you get the sensation of the rear pushing the front into the corner more, even more so with throttle input. I'm anxious to see how the car reacts at 10/10's cornering. I still expect understeer at the limit but it will take longer to reach that understeer and it should be less pronounced. The turn in is almost amazing. Still get a hint of delay between turn of wheel, feel chassis take a set and turn. I maybe able to improve this in the future....stiffer springs front and rear, Z07 front sway bar, maybe re-valved shocks,etc...
FYI, I'm running 275/40/17's at all fours currently.

You've set your car up about the same way I do all my street alignments except for the caster. I set the front camber at half negative and I set the caster for as much as I can get with that camber. More caster will increase neg. camber of the outside wheel in turns.

You've set your car up about the same way I do all my street alignments except for the caster. I set the front camber at half negative and I set the caster for as much as I can get with that camber. More caster will increase neg. camber of the outside wheel in turns.

I'm pretty sure you recommend it to me. I forgot about how much caster you said you put in it. Oh, well, next year I'll see if I can find some more caster for it. I'm using a really, really nice Hunter machine you can type in what you want, and it will tell you what shims to use. Makes it really easy.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom