Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Head install Question

eoseitz01

Hey everyone. Working on my first engine build and a bit nervous. I have a 1982 Lt9 block and a set of 202 camel hump heads. I installed the head gasket on the alignment pins and the heads fit into the pins no problem. I torqued the bolts 25-45-65 ft/lbs in sequence.

I was starting to put my lifters and push rods in when I saw a strange hole/gap in the back drivers side of the block almost by the valve cover area. I put a screw driver in it and it doesn't appear to be a water jacket or oil hole.

Is this normal? I thought heads could go on either side. Did I put them on backwards? I see two arrow looking casting marks at the back of my heads. Should those have pointed to the front?

Please help. I have pics below.

520df9fba47379df82016ba911f76569.jpg
02958527d079c615933eb2742e2d7390.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All the gaskets appear to line up. I just don't see this hole on the other side.

Talked to a local mechanic and he said there should be a pipe plug in the hole. He said if I can't push a screw driver down it, it's most likely sealed and shouldn't be an issue. He recommended I fill the hole with permatex just to be safe.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom