Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Head Light issues...

tntcorvette

My headlights will not rotate if the hood is down. If I lift the hood up, I can turn on the lights and they will rotate. The passenger side rotates slower than the driver side.

Any ideas?

Any weird grinding noises? Can you see them at least attempting to move?

I am only guessing here, but maybe with the hood up, less effort is required to make them rotate, and a stripped gear is able to get the job done.

Or, as i recall, the plastic gears are filled with a heavy, viscous goo that can turn to dust with time. The aftermarket can supply little plastic buttons that go into the gear in place of the goo.

Hope this helps.
Barry

88 and up (newer) have the three ''buttons'' that turn to goo/powder...84-87 have plastic gears that loose teeth...different motor speeds between right/left is typical.

because your headlight motors are sensitive to hood open/closed, i would look for a wiring prob--with both motors affected, sounds like the wires exiting from the ''relay enclosure'', this section of wire flexes whenever the hood is raised...prolly need to ''puncture'' the wire insulation with pins (from your wife/gf sewing basket--be sure to remember which and return to same) and connect a VOM to the pins, raise/lower the hood and watch the VOM for voltage change.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom