Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Head Light Malfunction

chevyaddict

Corvette
1990 Convertible
Before I go doing the awful task of trying to replace the headlight switch, I was wondering if there might be something else I'm overlooking. My low beams aren't working on my 68. The reason I'm not sure its the switch is because it is somewhat an intermittent problem; kind of like a loose connection. However, all four high beams work and I don't think low and high beams have separate grounds. I already replaced the dimmer switch and all four headlights. Anything else I'm potentially missing or is this a bad headlight switch?

I believe the headlights have a fusible link but normally they don't cause intermittent problems.

-Mac

I believe the headlights have a fusible link but normally they don't cause intermittent problems.

-Mac

And if that was out they wouldn't work at all, right? No lows or brights?

And if that was out they wouldn't work at all, right? No lows or brights?

I believe each side of the circuit (high and low) are independently protected but if the link is open, that side of the headlight circuit is out.

-Mac

I believe each side of the circuit (high and low) are independently protected but if the link is open, that side of the headlight circuit is out.

-Mac

Great! Thanks! I'll check that out for sure before doing anything else! :upthumbs

If you have a voltmeter, you can check to see if you have 12V DC to the switch and if so, check on the output side of the switch w/ the headlites on and see if you're getting 12V out. If you've got it going in and not out, then it's the switch. If it's coming out, then the problem is downstream from the switch. Could be the aforementioned link (if there is one), a broken wire, or possibly a bad ground.

Actually I got ahold of a wiring diagram and the switch could not be my problem. If I had power to high then I must have power to low by the headlight switch. It is the dimmer switch that takes that input and directs it accordingly. I had power out of both sides of the switch so it had to be something along the path and sure enough, found a compromise in the route! So that fixes that! :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom