Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Header bolts etc.

Jim B

Corvette
1974 L82 Grey coupe
Hi all,
gonna be installing my headers soon., and I don't want leaks later. Are there certain bolts or gaskets I should use? Any ideas would be great.
Thanks

I don't have an answer to your question, but I've got a set of headers to install and I want to know the answer.

Thanks!

I don't have an answer to your question, but I've got a set of headers to install and I want to know the answer.

Thanks!

I have the Stage 8 locking header bolts with Percy's "dead soft" aluminum header gaskets and collector gaskets. I lightlty sprayed the gaskets with silcone sealer before installing. Then I did a follow-up tightening of the bolts after several times of heating and cooling (about a week after). They've been tight as a drum without any leaks. Also, the gaskets are reusable.

Now, if I could only do something about the darn heat the headers give off! Heat barriers, insulation - forget about it!

it depends on what size header tubes you have. 1 5/8 primary tubes, you can run just about any locking bolt and be fine. some 1 3/4 primary headers have the tube so close to the bolt that you can't get a wrench in them must less use the locking bolts. i am running the big tube side pipe headers on mine and normal 6 point header bolts. i can't get anything else to fit. as for gaskets, i have not had good luck with the aluminum or copper gaskets. i can't get the header bolts very tight on a couple bolts. i have had good luck with the MR Gasket and Victor Rhines (spelling) head gasket style gaskets. they are metal core and covered with a dark grey coating. the key is a good gasket and tight bolts. just don't use the paper gaskets that come with the headers, you'll be replacing them inside two weeks. also make sure your header flanges are thick, 3/8 prefered. thin flanges will warp with heat and unload the gasket causing burn-thru. good luck, Brian.

it depends on what size header tubes you have. 1 5/8 primary tubes, you can run just about any locking bolt and be fine. some 1 3/4 primary headers have the tube so close to the bolt that you can't get a wrench...

Brian makes an excellent point regarding the size of the primary tubes.

The Stage 8 bolt also has a small hexagonal hole in the top that allows you to tighten/loosen with a hex wrench - also great for those tight fitting areas.

Hello guys,

I am new but I run the large tube hookers on my car. I had the same issues because of the size of the primaries. at 1 3/4" they don't allow anything to get onto the bolt to really work that well. What we did was what we do to the race car. Used copper gaskets but RTV'd them heavily. That has worked now for nearly two seasons. But this is custom worked sportsmen iron heads. Not sure I would do that with aluminum.

If you run the 1 5/8 those center locks are awesome. Lots of guys at the local gatherings love them.

Thanks for all the comments and help! Got the headers on yesturday, and hope to finish this weekend. All went good so far..... Hope to post pics when done.
Jim

Thanks for all the comments and help! Got the headers on yesturday, and hope to finish this weekend. All went good so far..... Hope to post pics when done.
Jim

happy motoring...tell us about the install and lets hope for no leaking!

i hope to start rehab in 12 days and get released to DRIVE! I so want to take a spin!:w

happy motoring...tell us about the install and lets hope for no leaking!

i hope to start rehab in 12 days and get released to DRIVE! I so want to take a spin!:w

Rehab? RU okay?

Got my headers and new exhaust finised Thur. Here's a pic . Thanks for the help. It turned out good!
4qzvdjr.jpg
[/IMG]
4qzvdjr.jpg
4qzvdjr.jpg

Very Nice! I used the Mr Gasket ultra header gaskets and after 5 years no leaks!

nice job

fine69.. i had achilles tendon surgery to remove a bone spur..

Wednesday I hit the doctors office and then rehab to start learning to walk again..:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom