Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Header Choices

nlreb54

Corvette
1998 C5 White Coupe
What are the headers of choice for a stock LS1? Is it worth the investment to install the headers? I have Corsa Indies now.

Thanks
Nlreb54

The Best Headers You Can Get

http://www.madvet.com/shop?frame=2.6265

LG Motorsports Longtube Headers are the best you can put on your C5. Longtube Headers are a straight "nuts and bolts" replacement that requires no cutting or welding. Longtubes start with a 3/8 inch mounting flange and 32 inch long header that enters a "race style merge collector," and then goes to the "X" pipe. These headers end with a mounting flange that matches your C5's original muffler flanges. The built in "high flow" catalytic converter keeps your C5 emission legal. Looks good, performs great, easy to install, and street/emission legal, that's why LG Longtube Headers are the best.

These look like the ticket . . .

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

Definitely worth the investment. I have TTS longtubes installed, but then again, they were put in in 1999. Good power gains to be had, a must do if you're going to do a top-end package later. Should compliment the sound of your catback well.

---
Mike :pat

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND HEADERS THAT ARE MADE OUT OF STAINLESS STEEL!

LG or kooks would be the brand I replace my existing mild steel headers when I can no longer have the holes welded.

Believe me when I say any extra money is money well spent..

I've looked into replacing my mild steel headers and my eventual cost should be about 1700 or 1800 installed for Kooks...add about 300 for the LG's and both those costs include catalytic convertors.

HTH

Anything would be better than your stock manifolds, even the 01 and up version. However, you have to think of a change to headers as part of an overall plan depending on what other mods you will be doing and how you will be driving. Putting a set of 1 7/8 LT's with high flow cats and open exhaust on an otherwise stock engine, might look and sound nice, but HP gains would be nowhere near the full potential of the headers. Conversely, putting shortys on a cam, head, intake modded car would be like putting a cork in it. Think about the big picture and then make you choice. Whatever you do, it has to make you happy. - C.

I have always been a proponent of headers as one of the best mods you can do; but a recent article in Hot Rod has made me think about it. They were testing a LS1 in a Camaro the stock Corvette exhaust manifolds were an improvement of almost as much as long tube headers.
As the post above suggests the cost involved for the gains realized in a stock or bolt-on modded C5 is not worth it except for bragging rights. My C5 which is my daily driver most of the year will stay with the stockers and cat backs (put on for sound reasons). All my other hot rods have headers :D

6 Shooter said:
LG Motorsports Longtube Headers are the best you can put on your C5.

Why are these the "best". There are many headers out there, and from what I have seen from dyno plots, they are all within a couple of peak HP from each other.

I personally went with the QTP headers. They are all stainless, mate to a Random Tech "X" pipe system and are a Tri-Y design. They are the only all stainless Tri-Y design made for the C5 that I am aware of. All depends on what you want and are willing to pay for the system. Many folks are happy with the Dynatechs, which are a lot less money and probably make about the same HP.

Also, be careful of dyno queens. Many lean out the AFR to get more HP but don't post the AFR plot when they provide results. I got 25 HP from mine, and the AFR plot once tuned was pretty much the same as stock so I don't have to worry about a lean condition on the street.

2 grand to spend? I'd i have the LG's installed....with cats etc..
1750 to spend? I'd have the Kooks installed with cats.

I don't know anything about the QTP's and I'm sure they are good...but after getting burned with FLP MILD STEEL HEADERS...(needed to be welded as I bracket broke twice)

I'd only personally chose either the Kooks or the LG's when it comes time to replace these mild steel (coated too) POS.

Spend the money up front cause it will bite you in the Butt later on...

Although when I bought the FLP's they were supposedly top notch..(years ago)

Hindsights 20/20 ...buy the best!

Interesting you haven't heard of QTP, they are right up the road from you. They are very big in the f-body area and popular on LS1Tech.com

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom