Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! header install running rough

edram454

Just installed a set of dynatech headers/xpipe/highflow cats and slp powerflo cat back. the car is running erratic. sometimes it idles down until it almost turns off or when I am driving it will either surge or struggle to accelerate. all the 02 sensors are installed. the installer said that most of these c5 corvettes run rough after long tube header install and that it needs a tune. I dont think this is right. I am not getting any codes flying back from the computer. I have a predator tune loaded in before any of this work and the car has always worked flawlessly. any advice before I pay a tuner?? ed ramos.

Sound like you need a dyno tune bro.

A header insallation won't make your car run like that. something must be wrong. Check to be sure that the O2 sensor wiring is hooked up correctly.

If the O2 sensors were mishandled during the install or removal they may be damaged or failing. I would verify their function first. A good tune is advisable when replacing entire exhaust. A good dyno tune shop will test the sensors before proceeding with a tune.

problem solved. had a dyno tune and found out that when installed a complete header system, if the 02 sensors have been slightly moved from the stock location, that will sometimes conflict with each other. In my case, the left sensor was taking fuel away while the right sensor was compensating and adding fuel. It wasnt until my tuner increased the intensity to the 02 sensors that all the problems went away. The added power to the signal made up for the new location of the 02 sensors. that was the fix. nothing was broken. apparently the sensors are very, very sensity to there exact location and on most aftermarket systems they may vary 1 to 2 inches. car runs strong thought rpm range and especially in higher speeds. car just flies. thanks for all your replies. It could have been anything with these newer cars and all the electronics involved. btw... even though my tuner had efilive and ls1edit packages, he managed to do all my tuning with my lowly DIABLOSPORT PREADTOR!!! It is a great little device and very versatile if you know how to use it. My tuner works on all types of cars using all types of tuning software but he chose in my case the predator. He did fine tune the original predator downloaded performance program but not much. He says the predator tune comes in pretty close on target. fyi... ed ramos.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom