Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Headers touching steering rod

• Thread starter Thread starter insiswe
  • Start date Start date
I

insiswe

I have just installed a set of LPE headers and a chip.Brilliant sound,no backfire.When the car is raised I have about one eigth of an inch clearace between 2inch header pipe and stearing rod.
After the car has been driven I have a small mark on the shaft from it just touching.Has anybody had a similar problem with headers.

I have Asplaugh headers on mine. I just went out and checked I've got 1" of clearence at the closest point between the header tubes and the steering shaft. No rub is evident. Good luck 84 CF 91 Zr-1

I also have Stainless Works headers with plenty of clearance. What headers are the LPEs.
Mike

headers touching steering rod

LPE Headers are Lingenfelter Power Engineering.

I am just speculating here but I would check the motor mounts. If they are bad or weak, this may be why you do not have adequate clearance.

Randy:w

I checked clearance the other day while working on the car. My header to steering shaft clearance is 3/8" at closest point. This is big difference than previous post of 1", as noted by aother member. Something seems odd. Can header tolerances for same brand of header be that large?
Mike

Apparently, the header tolerances are quite large, especially on Watson headers. I do not know who manufactured the headers that you bought from LPE. My LPE car came with Watson headers. I have noticed that on some cars the steering shaft lightly rubs the header tube and on other cars there is no problem. Both my cars have Watson headers and the fit is close, but not close enough to rub.

Will

I think LPE is dealing Stainless Works Headers since Watson has stopped making them.

LPE did a little bit of everything over the years. They definitely are using Stainless Works headers lately though - and mine have about a one inch clearance at that point. Now, my brother's Jeal headers are dented in at that point due to clearance issues, and those ones are the ones that Brian copied to produce the Stainless Works headers, or more aptly named: Alspaugh Headers.

<<my brother's Jeal headers are dented in at that point due to clearance issues, and those ones are the ones that Brian copied to produce the Stainless Works headers>>

Aaaannnd, Jeal copied the Watson design. So that means Watson, Jeal and Stainless Works/Alspaugh are all the same design, give or take a couple of manufacturing differences.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom