Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

headers

J

john wilson

I have an 80 that I am putting a 383,450hp engine in and would like some feed back on what type of headers people think are the best!!!!
THANKS
JOHN

John, The headers that I have had the best luck with as far as fit and ease to get to the spark plug has been Dynomax part # 86008. With these you can still use the long oil filter. The part number that I gace you is for ceramic coated headers.......Hope this helps......Steve

John,

When i bought my vette, it came with Hooker SUper COmp. Headers on...i dont know if theyre the 'best' on the market...but i hear alot of very favorable things said about them all the time for thier quality. Mine have been Jet Coated too, which i understand cuts down on the heat alot...plus extends the life .

Dave

JOHN. AGAIN DON'T KNOW WHICH REALLY ARE THE BEST ON THE MARKET,BUT MINE HAD TO BE HOOKER HEADER/SIDEPIPES!ALSO ISTALLING A "383" SO HAVEN'T TRIED THE PIPES YET,BUT I CAN HEAR THEM IN MY SLEEP.... IT'S WHAT EVER FLOATS YOUR BOAT! DO WHAT YOU WANT. JCL

Hooker sidepipes

JCL,
I used to have a '67 bb coupe with Hooker sidepipe headers and you could definately hear them in your sleep for real. They were great! I need to get a pic of that car on my web sight. My son uses it for wallpaper.
Tom

59TOM AS SOON AS I FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET MY WEB UP AND RUNNING,I'LL HAVE PICTURES! SOON I HOPE. THOUGHT I REMEMBERED EDGERTON FROM WHEN I WENT TO BGSU. WHY I'M NOT SURE,BUT THERE WAS SOMETHING OR MAYBE "SOMEONE".... IT'S HELL GETTING BETTER!(AND OLD)THANKS, JIM E-MAIL ME ANYTIME.

Edgerton

Jim,
Edgerton is west of Bowling Green (OH) on US6 about 3 miles from IN. Only a little over an hour away so I'm sure the name came up occasionally. I used to go through Seville all the time a few years ago. We should see if we can get some of these Ohio members together for the Corvette swap meet in Lima.

Tom

Speaking of Lima

Tom:

Just had to throw this in...this good ol' boy from South Carolina had the distinct pleasure to spend a few days in Lima, OH a few years ago..I did a great deal of business travel then. On my journeys I try to ferret out the local's favorite diners (my associates often choose to stay with the familiar...but a Bob Evan's in Lima is the same as one in Louisville). I hit paydirt in Lima...I had a KEWPIE BURGER. It was great. I vaguely recall Kewpie used a burger condiment foreign to us Sandlappers...for the life of me I can't remember just what. Kewpie's friendly, competent (unlike elsewhere) staff were ALL in crisp white uniforms...place was very clean and very busy...the simple food was great! I ate there more than once...and I also visited the Plastics Museum in Lima. There's more to Lima than just cornfields (although I wondered as I drove in from Dayton)! JACK

Kewpie Burger

That place is one of the local traditions. It has been years since I ate there. I lived there for a year about 18 years ago and there really wasn't much else there at rhe time. I'm surprised when I go in there to our customers how nothing much has changed over the years except eating and shopping.
Tom

Just finished installing Dynomax headers in 80

I can't really say which headers are the best, but I just installed Dynomax ceramic coated headers in my 80 w/ dual exhaust. They look awsome and fit well. I had to notch the z-bar clutch linkage to get clearance but not a big problem. I hope to start the car up today even though the mufflers are not connected. The neighbors will certainly hear this one. Will be driving it to the muffler shop, while avoiding the police due to noise ordinance, to have the headers connected to exhaust system. Don't know if the car will run faster but certainly looks like its faster with those shiny things under the hood. Leaves a big smile on my face while my wife just shakes her head.

Regards,

Jim

OPEN HEADERS

Jim,
I like your style. :D Stand on it once just for those of us who still have their cars sheltered for winter. Please!
Tom

Tom59, no problem

I just might step on it with a :) for you cold weather folks.

Regards,

Jim

John,

I have the ceramic coated Hooker Super Comps on my 383/auto trans 72 and they fit fine with World Products angle plug heads. They've been on about 5 years and still look good. However, the car hasn't been driven that much in that period of time so I really shouldn't comment on longevity. The primary tubes are big and (depending on your heads) will probably reduce your 383's bottom end torque to some degree over manifolds or smaller primary tube headers (speaking from experience). They're probably better matched to a high reving engine.

Jeff

C3 Headers

I have installed several headers on different makes of cars. Finally Installed the Hooker Super-comp sidemounts on my '73 Big Block (lot's of room in there...not). These headers are so well designed that one person could probably install them on roll on ramps. (says a lot about their engineers) You may have to trim some 'glass or trim where the pipes sweep under the frame however this is minimal. Ceramic coating would be a nice option However I would fit the side mounts on and tape them where they join before having them coated these pipe have a tendancy to go out of round and ceramic is brittle. Secondly for street sound effects the reverse flow muffler insert will keep the local constabulatories chasing the 5.0's and not you. However, at the track they will slow you down about 1 second in the quarter mile so leave 'em at home. This year I'll be trying the glass packs and rings.

Hooker Competition

I have Hooker Compertition Headers on my '70. I think the primaries are smaller than on the Super Comps, so I am not giving up any bottom end.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom