Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

HEADLIGHT BULD REPLACEMENT -HOW TO?

Craig1979

Corvette
1979 L82
I'm trying to replace the low beam halogen bulbs in my 1998 C5.
I've read through the forum threads describing the bulb removal, and checked the shop manual for the procedure, but still can't get the _____ things out.

I've got the headlight door up, the black plastic headlight bezel removed, the weather-tight wiring harness unplugged, and my hand to the actual bulbs at the back of the headlight lens.

Now everything I've read states to rotate the bulb counterclockwise 1/4 turn and remove it.

This is where I need the help from someone who has actual done this.
The bulb only rotates a very little bit and then comes to a very solid stop. I can see that the bulb has not turned enough to disengage from the socket. But to force the bulb to rotate further feels like a disaster in the making (ie: broken socket or broken off bulb).
I even tried turning the bulb clockwise (in case my facing front/facing back orientation was wrong), but same sudden/short stop to the rotation.

Can't see in there very well - and I'm stumped!

Is there sometype of a retaining ring or clip that needs to be loosened or removed on a 1998 model in order to rotate the bulbs out?

When the manual states turn the bulb counterclockwise - is that looking at the back of the headlight, towards the front of the car? Or from the front of the headlight looking towards the rear of the car?

You guy that have removed these OEM bulb......what's the secret?????

Thanks,
Craig
email: cdns4w@yahoo.com

Sounds like you are right there! :) The bulb rotates and then must be pulled out of the hole. There is a large O-ring on the bulbs base that creates a water tight seal in the hole. My guess is it must be creating still such a tight seal that it is tripping you up.

Try rotating it to the stop and then pull. Might have to rock it back and forth to break the seal.

Hi Craig79,
I've replaced both high & low beams in mine using the procedure your using and had no problem at all. Well, the short chubby fingers didn't help much, but.....
I'd try toolguys advice by rocking it. It'll give.

Chris

Hey guys, you notice that Craig lives in Seattle? The bulb is probably rusted in place! ;-)

Signed,
Former Seattlite

Thanks for the feedback guys.
I thought I had the procedure down but could'nt figure out why the things didn't come out.
I'll snake my hands back in there and do a little tugging. It seems like the bulbs are only turning about an 1/8 of a turn before stopping. It doesn't look like their rotating enough to disengage the lugs on the socket???

Am I correct in that it takes a full 1/4 turn to release?

How about the orientation for a "counterclockwise" turn. Is that looking at the back of the lens housing (facing the front of the car), or facing the rear of the car?

I do not remember when I had mine out last so I cannot comment without taking mine apart... However it must rotate and then you can pull it out as you already know.

Possibly push it forward while rotating, maybe it will turn more when you do that and come to a stop. Than you can pull it out...

Thanks for the feedback guys.
I thought I had the procedure down but could'nt figure out why the things didn't come out.
I'll snake my hands back in there and do a little tugging. It seems like the bulbs are only turning about an 1/8 of a turn before stopping. It doesn't look like their rotating enough to disengage the lugs on the socket???

Am I correct in that it takes a full 1/4 turn to release?

How about the orientation for a "counterclockwise" turn. Is that looking at the back of the lens housing (facing the front of the car), or facing the rear of the car?

If I remember correctly, there is a tab that also has to be pushed as you turn the connector counter-clockwise.

Good luck.

Anyone else know anything about the supposed release tab (mentioned above) that needs to be pushed while rotating the bulb??????
Craig1979

I don't recall any "release tab", at least not on mine ('03). Like it's stated above you may have to push in a little while turning the socket. Also Craig, it may not be a full 1/4 turn. Could slightly less, but close.

I don't recall any "release tab", at least not on mine ('03). Like it's stated above you may have to push in a little while turning the socket. Also Craig, it may not be a full 1/4 turn. Could slightly less, but close.

That was my experience as well. It takes a little more force that I thought it would.

That was my experience as well. It takes a little more force that I thought it would.

Your right DRTH, it did take a bit more force. Then tack on the fact that I was taking it more easy because I didn't want to break anything in there, and I can see why some people have trouble getting those things out.

Don't worry, Nuttin' is gonna break!!!!!! ;)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom