Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

40th Anniversary Headlight motor gear replacement

1993 40th Anniversary Corvette Topic

93annivette

Corvette
1993 40th Anniversary Ruby Red Coupe
Passenger headlight would not flip open all the way. Looked on utube and saw ChrisFix video on headlight gear replacement. Ordered two new bronze gears and bushings from Mid America and did the replacement per the video-or at least I thought I did- until I put the unit back into the car and it still didn't rotate open. Can't figure what I missed. The driver's side works fine. The plastic bushings in the passenger's unit had completely disintegrated. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Sometimes its stupid i had the same problem and it tured out to be the wire harness was catching the light as it came around. I also sprayed the arms with a lube and that helped. Did you try to open light manually?

Problem fixed

Sometimes its stupid i had the same problem and it tured out to be the wire harness was catching the light as it came around. I also sprayed the arms with a lube and that helped. Did you try to open light manually?

I had reassembled the unit wrong. A metal flange had been put on the wrong metal armature-it belongs on the armature that the pin goes through. When it was the unit operated perfectly. Thanks for your suggestions.

My experience, choice, and advice

As a first time owner of a Corvette, my 95 coupe has been a real joy to own. A early problem was the headlamp motor operation and through this forum I learned about the plastic gear troubles. I could have done the rebuild, but it sounded like an involved and messy project for a relatively minor (and cheap) issue. On Ebay I ordered the rebuilt motor (by someone who must know the process, "Carguy8t8") for about $80 plus a $75 core charge. Took my time with the replacement and proper alignment. Now all is well and I'm ready when the drivers side motor wants to act up.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom