Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Headlight motor help needed NOW!

90 Corvette ZR-1

Corvette
90 Red ZR-1
I NEED HELP NOW!
I have the motor assembly off and on my work bench, but I can't get the plastic gear set out to get the new one in. Can anyone tell me how to get the old plastic gear out. PLEASE!

Did you disconnect the shaft from the crank arm on the opposite side? The whole shaft and gear have to come out as one piece.

The crank is a flat plate of steel and it has a pin pressed through it. Knock out the pin and then push the shaft out from the back.

Let me know.

One more thing. It helps to loosen the 2 motor bolts. Do not remove them - just loosen them some so there is give with the worm gear. This will help if the worm gear is giving you the problem.

The passenger side is a bit different than the driver side. Actually it's a mirror image of one another. On the driver side the plastic gear pulls out with ease, because the outer edge is facing out, and not being held by the worm gear, but on the passenger side the gear rear edge lip is held in place by the worm gear, because the plastic edge is facing inward. You need to use a thin blade punch to break the outer rim edge, so that the plastic gear can be pulled pass the worm gear. Just punch out an area about the lenght of the worm gear. This will allow the plastic gear to be removed.

I finally got both of the motors out, fixed and back in the car. Total time about 4 hrs! It was getting dark by the time I reassembled everything! Ugh

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom