Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

headlight problem

S

swedvette

one of my headlights won't close when i turn the knop
is it the gears or the headlight motor????

It is usually the gears in the headlight motor----ie the bushings around the main large gear.

You can yank it off the car, split open the housing, and lookin inside. You will find three plastic things that may be chewed to shreds around the inside lip of the large gear.

You can buy new ones from any of the popular corvette retail places for around or less than $10. You can also look around your garage, go to the hardware store, etc. and come up with a brass bushing the correct diameter, then cut to length and drop in there for about $2 and 2 hours of time. The only bad about putting metal in there is it may eventually chew up the gears if they get in a binding position.

BTW, once time I was in a hurry to get my wife's old 89 together fast. I took three nuts about the right size, threw them in the bench grinder and took the hard hex edges of them, threw them in the gear housing with plenty of grease, and she drove it that way for almost two years with zero defects.

69MyWay said:
BTW, once time I was in a hurry to get my wife's old 89 together fast. I took three nuts about the right size, threw them in the bench grinder and took the hard hex edges of them, threw them in the gear housing with plenty of grease, and she drove it that way for almost two years with zero defects.

Chris,

I swear that you must be the McGyver of Corvette's or something similar!:L :L :L :L

Chris is right on!

The nylon bushings turn into CANE SUGAR and have no grip left.

Vig!

Headlight repair

I just did both of my headlight motors. First check to see if the motor is rotating at the top when you turn on your headlights. If they do then you need to replace the plastic bushings found inside the motor behind the plastic gear. Please refer to
corvette forum.com on the C-4 area, there are a few listings thereand they are good. Also you can order these from ECKLERS 1-800-327-4868. THe part # is #29304 for a 88-96 vette. THey are $4.39 ea, so order 2 because if one is in need of repair the other one is right behind by a few weeks. The repair takes from 3-5 hours. If you have a big problem with anything please Email me, dhoughton@earthlink.net
Take your time and don't force anything. Spray a little WD40 on all nuts and bolts before attacking with your tools. Be patient and make little drawings as you go along taking things apart. Its best to do it without interuption or you might end up saying
"Oh I forgot how this goes back together". Good luck.

For your bushings, Go to Home Depot and ask for item number 595609. You will need six of these nylon spacers to repair both headlights. They cost me .69 cents (plus tax) for a pack of three at my local Home Depot store.

Much cheaper than the $7.99 price in MAD, Eckler's and some of the other specialty catalogs and they are the exact same Delrin spacers. Go figure.

If there's a TechTips portal on this Forum search under "headlight bushings." If not, let me know and I'll see if I can get you a copy of the instructions I used when I replaced mine a couple of months ago.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom