Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

headlight problem

skids

Corvette
64 coupe
On my 64, I have all new wiring, switches, ect. I just replaced forward harness, and now when I activate high beams, my high beam indicator turns off, and when on low beam, high beam indicator is on. Wasn't that way with old harness. Only thing I replaced was forward harness. Everything else was replaced a year ago. Any ideas? Thanks.

I had the same problem when I replaced the forward harness. I had 2 wires reversed in the plug.

zr1vp said:
I had the same problem when I replaced the forward harness. I had 2 wires reversed in the plug.
I reversed two wires also, and now its correct but the wire placement on the low beam bulb is different than in my schematic and from my old harness. Guess ill call lectriclimited and inquire. Thanks. Oh yeah, I reversed tan and green wires on plug going to bucket extension.

skids said:
I reversed two wires also, and now its correct but the wire placement on the low beam bulb is different than in my schematic and from my old harness. Guess ill call lectriclimited and inquire. Thanks. Oh yeah, I reversed tan and green wires on plug going to bucket extension.
Skids,
Can you post your answer/results from lectriclimited. I am getting ready to do a body off on my 64 and am replacing all my wires too. Having the answer of why they're crossed will make my life alot easier.
This same thing happen on my friends 64 with the rear blower motor. I told him about an article I read about how the wiring on the rear blower was wrong. We called Lectriclimited and found that them made the wiring per the schematic and not the way it should be, so we had to swap wire their too.
Craig

I will try to talk to them tomorrow. It's too bad that sometimes the simple things, like hooking up a brand new harnesses, doesn't work.

skids said:
I will try to talk to them tomorrow. It's too bad that sometimes the simple things, like hooking up a brand new harnesses, doesn't work.
Duh!! My error. When connecting bucket extension terminals to plug, I never thought about making sure plug was in correct position. I just stuck them in there not thinking that plug can only be inserted one way.

Skids, I did my '64 with LL and never had a single problem. Great fit and easy to do.

attret00 said:
Skids, I did my '64 with LL and never had a single problem. Great fit and easy to do.
My whole car is with LL and I never really had a problem. Just my human error! I agree with with fit and ease of installation.

Ken Anderson said:
Their wires are not OEM grade and their terminals have been known to pull/be pushed out of the fuse block.
Have you any proof? Now you got me wondering.

Skids:

Believe it or not, the Chevrolet wiring diagram is wrong!!!!! If the harnesses are made according to the schematic, your problem will result. Left and right bucket extensions should both be the same. There should NOT be a left and right harness.
Trust me.

Joe

I have now done my whole 65 in LL and had no problem at all. None of the pins pushed back and the harness went in perfectly. No slop or extra length that I had to tie wrap up.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom