Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Headlight problem

J

John N

Lately my '79 daily driver has developed a problem - slow opening headlights. First on one side (driver) and now both. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
John N

Vettehead Mikey

Corvette
1973 Coupe
You have a large vacuum leak or most probably leaks somewhere in the system- could be just about anywhere. This is common with older C3s, there's lots of online troubleshooting guides available that will walk you through the system in a progressive, logical manner to track them all down.

Try first examining the seals at the front of each headlight actuator.

J

John N

Over the last few days I've checked many things, and it seems to point to just what you say - the seals on the actuator may need replaced. Guess that's what I'll try next!

Thanks,
John N
'62 Fuelie
'65 327/365hp
94 ZR-1
79 L48

HammerDown

Corvette
1981 White/ Red int.
Over the last few days I've checked many things, and it seems to point to just what you say - the seals on the actuator may need replaced. ...
The rubber cone seals...been there done that.
And almost time to do it again :eyerole the driver side is lazy.

zachh

Corvette
1979 black 'n' silver L82 1978 Trans Am Y88
Mine wont come up, but I can hear air leaking at the actuator, where do you buy them (the rubber cone seals)?
THANX
zachh

J

John N

Corvette Central has them (9.95 for cone seal), Ecklers has them (9.99 for the cone seal or a 'kit' which includes cone seal, rubber boot and the metal ring that holds the seal in for 24.99 or so)

John N

C3forME

Corvette
1977 Coupe

HammerDown

Corvette
1981 White/ Red int.
Not from the place above...

I've actually gotten a bad (new) seal or two in the past...where it has the sharp fold, the rubber was micro thin. I knew it wouldn't last and sent it back.

srs244

Corvette
1978 pace car, 04 CE convert
for more information than you would probably want related to headlight vacuum restoration and or repairs, do a search here on the subject and you will be overwhelmed by what will pop up. it has been discussed and many suggestions offered repeatedly on this site.

J

John N

Thanks! I hadn't thought of that. I know there is a 'manual' that you can buy - I haven't gotten around to fooling with it anymore for a while....but still researching. I also know that Eckler's has the entire 'kit' to do both actuators for $34.95....

John:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Win Both Corvettes!

Win Both Corvettes and Get Extra Bonus Tickets Now!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Dead Center Foundation

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Partners

Top Bottom