Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Headlight problem

J

John N

Lately my '79 daily driver has developed a problem - slow opening headlights. First on one side (driver) and now both. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
John N

You have a large vacuum leak or most probably leaks somewhere in the system- could be just about anywhere. This is common with older C3s, there's lots of online troubleshooting guides available that will walk you through the system in a progressive, logical manner to track them all down.

Try first examining the seals at the front of each headlight actuator.

Over the last few days I've checked many things, and it seems to point to just what you say - the seals on the actuator may need replaced. Guess that's what I'll try next!

Thanks,
John N
'62 Fuelie
'65 327/365hp
94 ZR-1
79 L48

Over the last few days I've checked many things, and it seems to point to just what you say - the seals on the actuator may need replaced. ...
The rubber cone seals...been there done that.
And almost time to do it again :eyerole the driver side is lazy.

Mine wont come up, but I can hear air leaking at the actuator, where do you buy them (the rubber cone seals)?
THANX
zachh

Corvette Central has them (9.95 for cone seal), Ecklers has them (9.99 for the cone seal or a 'kit' which includes cone seal, rubber boot and the metal ring that holds the seal in for 24.99 or so)

John N

Not from the place above...

I've actually gotten a bad (new) seal or two in the past...where it has the sharp fold, the rubber was micro thin. I knew it wouldn't last and sent it back.

for more information than you would probably want related to headlight vacuum restoration and or repairs, do a search here on the subject and you will be overwhelmed by what will pop up. it has been discussed and many suggestions offered repeatedly on this site.

Thanks! I hadn't thought of that. I know there is a 'manual' that you can buy - I haven't gotten around to fooling with it anymore for a while....but still researching. I also know that Eckler's has the entire 'kit' to do both actuators for $34.95....

John:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom