Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Headlight Question

90 Corvette ZR-1

Corvette
90 Red ZR-1
I was speaking with Gordon Killabrew @ Carlisle this year and we got on the subject of headlights. He said all Z's should have plastic headlights.

This question is more for 90-92 owers but anyone is free to answer. How many have glass vs plastic headlights?

Glass here

Plastic here. When the car was purchased from the original owner it had some kind of high power glass headlight's. I was told to change them out to the plastic one's. They are lighter and it save's the headlight door motor and gear's. And that the car's came with plastic headlight's as original equiptment.

FrankUrbinati said:
Plastic here. When the car was purchased from the original owner it had some kind of high power glass headlight's. I was told to change them out to the plastic one's. They are lighter and it save's the headlight door motor and gear's. And that the car's came with plastic headlight's as original equiptment.

Same here. My understanding is that the '90 and '91 MYs came with glass headlights. My '90 has the original glass headlamps.

I never knew the Z's were offered differeent ones. Man, I learn something new every day:D I'll have to go check to see what I have.

Jay

JT ZR-Won said:
I never knew the Z's were offered differeent ones. Man, I learn something new every day:D I'll have to go check to see what I have.

Jay

It's not model specific, but rather model year specific. The glass ones were used across standard and ZR-1s in '90-'91. I believe that plastic headlamps started to be used across all models in either 1992 or 1993.

Do you know why they switched over? I'm sure they weigh less but how much less?

Jay

Can't tell you the exact weight difference Jay. But it can be said that 2 plastic headlight's are alot lighter than one glass headlight. The plastic headlight's are also $ 20. each.

Rob said:
It's not model specific, but rather model year specific. The glass ones were used across standard and ZR-1s in '90-'91. I believe that plastic headlamps started to be used across all models in either 1992 or 1993.

I know my '93 LT1 had glass lights, and I am pretty sure my current car does too... i have to go check... are you sure it isn't a ZR1 thing, to try to get the weight down on the front end?

I just checked mine this morning. It is plastic. I had no idea-assumed it was glass halogen like the 91 I had.
Does this mean it has removable bulb that can be replaced w/ newer tech bulbs like xenon?
Anyone out there experimented w/ diffrent bulbs?

I know that the 92 and up lights are plastic. But as I said according to Gordon Killabrew all ZR-1 headlights are to be plastic. From 90-95. As I was talking to him he told me how much the one light vs the other weight I just can't remember.

I'm an original owner, and my 1990 ZR-1 has the glass headlights also. :dance

I just spent a good hour changing mine. This was my first try at this so it took a while to figure it out. Someone else must have been there before me because I had 1 plastic and one glass so I don't know what it came with?

Also of note, The Haynes manual was a bit off as to how to change the driving/fog lights for the 94. It said to just reach behind the lens and turn it out. WRONG. After some time I found a small flap on the bottom of the bumper held on with one screw. Once that was opened I had no real trouble changing them.

2 headlights, 2 fog lamps, 2 1/2 hours ! ! I hope it isn't this bad when other things need to be changed !

Headlights

My 91 came with plastic but I replaced them with glass Hella's. They are a lot brighter but probably harder on the motors and gears due to the extra weight.

Plastic...

Gordon has indicated that the wieght of the glass bulbs will cause premature failure of the headlight motors, thus I changed mine to the lighter plastic bulbs.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom