Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Headlight Replacement

M

mmark2

Just had the driver side headlight go out this morning and need to replace it. Is this a difficult thing to do? haven't really taken a good look at it yet but can anyone tell me what the procedure is?

If memory serves, it's not to difficult:

You'll need to 'manually' rotate the headlight housing into a position where the bezel screws can be removed - use the knob on the back of the motor to do this.

Once you have access to the bezel screws, you can remove them and pull the light out.
Be careful of the screws - don't drop them as they are hard to find in the lower nose and may never be seen again.

Now for those with more recent experience than me to chime in:

Thanks Tuna, new someone had done this one before.

If memory serves, it's not to difficult:

You'll need to 'manually' rotate the headlight housing into a position where the bezel screws can be removed - use the knob on the back of the motor to do this.

Once you have access to the bezel screws, you can remove them and pull the light out.
Be careful of the screws - don't drop them as they are hard to find in the lower nose and may never be seen again.

Now for those with more recent experience than me to chime in:

Sorry, but this won't work (unless you disconnect the wiring to the headlight motors). There's an easier way:
1. Raise the hood.
2. Pull the headlight switch all the way out to open the lights.
3. Push the headlight switch all the way in, and then immediately pull the switch out to the parking light position. This will cause the doors to stop in the middle of their movement, so you can get to the screws.
4. Try it again if you don't like the position where they stopped.

And like Tuna said: Don't drop the screws!

Since you need to replace one headlight, I'd highly recommend you replace both of them with Sylvania SilverStar headlights. They are a HUGE improvement over regular Halogen lights!

:w S.T.W.

You might want to upgrade to the Hella lights. The big advantage to them are the prizms give a better light pattern. I was going to put the silverstars in the Hella lamp but when I changed out the headlights the improvement was so dramatic that I have not gotten around to replaceing the bulbs.

Thanks, I did that, replaced both lights with Hella's (I'm sure the other light was probabaly ready to go too) and they're a real improvement over the old ones.

You might want to upgrade to the Hella lights. The big advantage to them are the prizms give a better light pattern. I was going to put the silverstars in the Hella lamp but when I changed out the headlights the improvement was so dramatic that I have not gotten around to replaceing the bulbs.

Now I will have to whisper in Santas ear about Sylvania Silver Stars. I want to see the road even if the oncoming driver does not use his dims.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom