Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Headlight replacement

Well, it has been a long time, but, I said I would let you know about my installation of the Sylvania X-Tra Vision headlights.

I followed the instructions in the owners manual and had both lights changed in about 20 minutes.

These lights are better. They are brighter and have a wider field of view. Also, like others, I can not detect when the fog lights are on.

One question, though. The lamps I replaced were Werner Halogen light weights. They weigh about half what the Sylvania's weigh. I have seen in catalogs that the lighter lamps is supposed to save the light motors. I was just wondering if the light weights were original, or if a previous owner had installed these.

dugr

dugr,
the ones i replaced looked like factory GE lamps. they were every bit as heavy as the Sylvanias that replaced them.
i've seen the ads for lightweight lamps and i'm not sold on that theory. the 84 i had was at about 100Kmi and those headlights flipped over just fine. and they were the original motors.
i think that is just another marketing thing for MAD to get you to buy more special pricey 'Vette' parts... save your money and buy the fun parts :)
graham

What is the wattage on the standard lights??? If I replace stock on my 96 with the Sylvania Xtra Visions Halogen lamps, will this require a wire upgrade??

Thanks

I suggest Sylvania Silverstar headlights... they are whiter than the other bulbs, and much better in general. check out sylvania's site to check them out. they are available even at walmart now.

Vettelt193 said:
I suggest Sylvania Silverstar headlights... they are whiter than the other bulbs, and much better in general. check out sylvania's site to check them out. they are available even at walmart now.

Yeah---the Sylvania Silverstars are brighter than the other Sylvania's. I use them in my car. Get rid of the other Sylvanias you just bought and get the Silverstars. Also, before installing aftermarket "modified" systems or European headlights (such as Hella) check around to see if they draw more current.

/s/ Chris Kennedy

55 watts is what a standard bulb draws.

Try Raybrig headlights. I switched to these, and it makes stock ones look like you are driving with your lights off. They are also very lite, and plastic, so no chips or cracks.

I do like the Silverstars though. I use them in my truck, but I didn't have to switch out sealed beams there.

Don't use cheap conversions though. The reflectors are usually trash. (I have a set in the garage to prove it.)

The silverstars are also 55 Watts, but much brighter and whiter than OEM lamps. I put some on my C5 a few months ago and like them a lot. Nobody has flashed me yet, so I guess they're not too obnoxious to other drivers.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom