Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Headlights dim semi randomly

V

Val

I have noticed that while cruizing down the interstate my headlights (lowbeam) will dim for about 1 second sometimes random, but very often the instant I touch the brake they dim for a second.

I have not had any problems with the charging system, so this rather perplexing. Anyone have ideas?

I have noticed that while cruizing down the interstate my headlights (lowbeam) will dim for about 1 second sometimes random, but very often the instant I touch the brake they dim for a second.

I have not had any problems with the charging system, so this rather perplexing. Anyone have ideas?

Me too! No ideas, but I recall reading a thread or two where this seems to be a rather common occurance.

Just close your eyes and you'll never notice. ;LOL

The battery is the original. But it shows no signs of leaks nor do I have any other electrical problems.

Its bad enough that I bet people think I'm flashing my lights at them. It just a slight annoyance, no bog in the engine or any other problems just a 1 second dim in the headlights.

I am surprised it has lasted this long. I had to replace mine about a year ago. Some quirky problems went away after that. The battery did not slowly fail, with sluggish starts, etc. It just refused to turn the engine over one day. The battery may not be your problem; I could be way off base here. But I have seen battery issues reported quite frequently with C5's, and you battery is getting old.

Dim in Lights

Did a search and came up with this topic. Mine has started doing this on low beam with no apparent connection to anything, just dims and then normal.
Have 17k on car, has original battery, the volt meter in DIC seems normal also.

I am surprised it has lasted this long. I had to replace mine about a year ago. Some quirky problems went away after that. The battery did not slowly fail, with sluggish starts, etc. It just refused to turn the engine over one day. The battery may not be your problem; I could be way off base here. But I have seen battery issues reported quite frequently with C5's, and you battery is getting old.
Be my guess that DRTH VTR is right on Track here!!!! Mine had been doing this for about a Year!!!! Then last week the DIC said "SERVICE COLUMN LOCK" and the Lock would no longer work,when I checked the voltage before cranking I had 10.93 volts!! New Battery, PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!:upthumbs

Mine does this on occasion as well but my battery is new within the last couple years. I would think this would be more grounding point related than battery?

Leon

From what I've heard, they all do this, as the alternator "cycles". When it's dark out, and I leave my house for work with the headlights on, I can predict within 2-3 houses, where I'll be on the street, when it happens.

This head light dimming happens to me too. At first I thought if was just me because the lights would dim and then come back in a blink of the eye. I think the car has it's original battery and I was assuming this was the problem. Just this week, my HUD brightness goes from full to about half and I can't get it back until I shut the car off and restart. But then then the display dims again within a minute or two. Could this be battery related? Or am I looking at some other problem here? :eek:hnoes

I've taken my C5 to the dealership for this very problem. The dealership said, without any real explanation, that this was "normal". I have 22,000 miles on the C5 and so far no problems.

Reminds me of...

the Great BMW 259 4 stoke two cylinder air/oil cooled motor.

"They all do that, it's normal" Said the repair dept Manager. What the problem was the motor was so lean it couldn't hold a steady slow speed idle. I installed a device that delivered more fuel at slow speeds (Techlusion) and that took care of the problem.

So, have you ever had a normal functioning car give you this blinking problem? I tell you, there's something not right in Corvette ville. Why didn't the car do this when it was newer? What could be the problem?

So, have you ever had a normal functioning car give you this blinking problem? I tell you, there's something not right in Corvette ville. Why didn't the car do this when it was newer? What could be the problem?

My car functions normally otherwise. The headlights very briefly dim when braking. I bought the car used with 25,000 miles on it so I don't know if the battery is the original but I have never had ANY electrical problems.

Lights dimming

My 2002 Coupe has been doing the same thing for the past year. Never lasts more than a second or two. Just had my car in to the dealer this week for warranty work on the HVAC display which was inoperative, and asked them to check for the dimming problem. According to them, it was a common occurence, with no fix for it. Seems to me, when there is something like this that affects so many cars, something is wrong.

Paul

I notice my lights dim only when I roll the windows up or down and sometimes when the turn signals blink but you really have to be looking for it.

I fixed it by not driving the car at night. :boogie Less bug guts to clean too!

I do think its about time to replace the battery (7 years)

What spects should one look for in a replacement battery besides optima red or yellow tops?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom