Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Heard of "Falken Z-rated" Tires?

H

Hava89

Looking into tires for the 89 and a local alignment shop owner recommended a brand that I haven't heard too many Vette owners mention. Falken Z-rated Performance tires.

Anyone familiar with this brand or running them on your Vette?

Mike

I don't know of anyone running them, but I have heard of them. I believe you can get them through the Tire Rack at a reasonable price.

Jay

Falken Tires

I had them on my 84....never had any problems with them.....and had them over 120MPH several times. They Corner well, but have a somewhat hard ride. They were very reasonably priced compared to the major brands, and when I had bought mine, several of the Vietnamese I work with said they are popular with the racers in their ethnic group.

RIKO

Faulken Tires

Hi Mike

They have been present with a display at all the larger car shows this year in Maine. Don't know much about them, could ask a few questions the next time I run across them.

don't let price determine your tires. a lot of the pleasure you get from your corvette is based on how it handles. some of the fun tires are BFG G-Force TA/KDs, Michelin Pilot's, and the yokohama A032R. as a matter of ratings, a "Z" rated tire is rated over 149 mph. how much over is determined by the manufacturer. in response to an inquiry Yokohama Tire Corporation specifically stated their "Z" rated tires should not be driven above 170 mph. i have run the BFG G-Force TA/KD very fast and they worked perfect.

Mike,

Just put a rear set on my '86 convt. No problems. Traction is better than the GSC's I replaced.

Vetman

Thanks for the input guys!;)

Due to the minimum funds on hand after putting in the fiberglass pool, which finishes this week, I'm going to try the Falken tires out. For $125 ea for the Z rated with a 30,000mile warranty, hopefully can't go wrong!

Also, installing new Bilstein shocks and an overall alignment for the new set-up.

We'll see how things turn out. Thanks

Mike

The Hail ya say..

Mike,

Have you done anything about the Hail Damage you/we incurred during the trip back to Bowling Green? Wasn't that a trip ;)

BudD
:w

advertise falken

they do advertise in Germany everyday for the tires. I have no experience with them.

We drive a lot fasten in germany (I am Dutch!) so I have done a little resurch.

A lot of tires are special made for one car, but a lot of people don't know that.

So you need a tire that is silent, has a good tracktion and is exalent for your vehickle.

I Europe we drive:

Continental, Michelin, Dunlop, Yokohama, Bridgetone.

I think the best are Michelin en Yokohama. I drive Michelin my self, I think these are the best. My tuner (and racer) thinks the new Dunlop.

John.

johnnyvette.jpg

Hava89 said:
... For $125 ea for the Z rated with a 30,000mile warranty, hopefully can't go wrong!

If you end up getting them, let us know how you like them ;)

Jay

A Tire is A Tire - NOT True

Please take what I am about to tell you with a grain of salt. I have worked in the tire industry for over 20 years. If you view my profile you will find that I am an engineer for Michelin, and work in their Research & Development in Greenville South Carolina. During my years I have driven and distroyed every manufacturer's best and worst tire (including our own).

My 85 BabyNBlue has Michelin's on it when she is headed for a show. Looks and they stay new when you don't drive them. For every day use in dry, wet, and in SNOW ! the Falken ZE502 ZIEX "Z" rated work well. A tiny bit hard on the ride, but wear well, quiet, and get rid of the water between the rubber and the road well. And they are about $100 a corner less expensive. I did not say cheap. I have right at 15K on my current road set, and if you would like, I can send you a photo showing how well they are lasting. Got an easy 15K to 20K yet to go. So long as I keep the air pressure checked OFTEN!

Every major manufacturer of tires have good ones, great ones, and then some that just ran. Polymide if very expensive, makes really good tires, but then it depends on if you are running 120+ every day in 100 degree heat.....Most of your Z and W tires are made with it for extreme high temperatures. Quality in tires is in almost every case a direct relationship to the price. The competition is so tight that there is not that much mark up in the high performance tires.

Hope this helps.

Kumho tires

Mike, look into kumho tires, I just put a set on my 88 convertible and they are a great tire. Quiet ride, great handling and traction.
They are available on tirerack.com. Best part is the price, $113 apiece. These tires have a great tread design and are w rated, the next rating above z. Good to 180 mph. Check them out.

Bob

"W" rated tires are not good to 180..they are rated to 168 MPH. "Y" rated tires are good to 186 MPH. "ZR" rated tires are rated above 149..how much depends on the manufacture. Pirelli "P Zero" are rated by Pirelli to 217 MPH. I got a response from Yokohama tire on their "ZR rated tire, and they specifically stated " under no circumstances do we recommend that you use the A032R at speeds over 170 m.p.h". Most folks don't drive their corvettes fast enough to require anything above a "VR" but the more expensive tires have more expensive compounds, are rounder, and will require less weights for balancing. no one has to drive fast, but if you are going too, spend the money for safety. Doesn't make sense to go 120 MPH on a $100.00 tire.

Tire rating

Hey brooks, you're right on the rating. I misread that on tirerack, thought it said 186 for the w, not the y. Thanks.

Thanks again for all of the interest and input!

I did go with the Falken Z-rated "Ultra High Performance" tires and Bilstein shocks.

I'm not into the "high speed" driving or competition, just enjoy cruizing! The new tires are very quiet compared to the Goodyear Eagles previously. And, the shocks needed replacing after the summer trip to BG across I-40:( Rare81 & Blackdog know what I mean!

After a week of running the new Falkens in AZ's 105-110F, I have been quite pleased!:Twist

Again, thanks to all that responded! It's great to get a variety of experiences before commiting to a purchase of any sort.

Mike

Had them on my BMW and I have them now on my 88 coupe. They are very slippery from a stand still. No traction. I can sit there and burn them off the wheels if I wanted!!

:lou

I have BF Goodrich g-Force Sport 275/40ZR-17 98W RBL on my 90 and they have held up awesome. Ive done 150mph in them, some autocross, and they hook up good down the drag strip. i got mine at discount tire for about $150 a piece.Treadwear 340 Traction A Temperature A Speed Rating Z*

Traction is better than the GSC's I replaced.
Same here , I ran 1.8X's on them all day (A4 / 3.07 ) BUT ; I had the best results with them hard , like 32psi and not trying to heat up.Just spin the water off and go

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom