Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Heat Exchangers and cooling fans

While looking at the cut-away of the Z06, I noticed cooling fans on the heat exchangers of the differential and trans. One of my questions is, is does the Z51 have cooling fans on it's heat exchangers also?
Also, I read where the console no longer gets warm on the '14 because of no trans lines are going to the front of the car. Is that for all '14s or only for the Z51s and Z06's?
I tried to get these questions answered from the Chevrolet site, and all they could do is give me the address of Powertain, and they wouldn't answer my questions because I don't presently own a '14, and routed me back to the Chevrolet, and they couldn't answer them.

While looking at the cut-away of the Z06, I noticed cooling fans on the heat exchangers of the differential and trans. One of my questions is, is does the Z51 have cooling fans on it's heat exchangers also?
Also, I read where the console no longer gets warm on the '14 because of no trans lines are going to the front of the car. Is that for all '14s or only for the Z51s and Z06's?
I tried to get these questions answered from the Chevrolet site, and all they could do is give me the address of Powertain, and they wouldn't answer my questions because I don't presently own a '14, and routed me back to the Chevrolet, and they couldn't answer them.

Hi there,

#1, there is cooling fan assemblies on the AUTO TRANS COOLER for 2014 only, none for the manual cars or differential cooler.

#2, the transmission lines have NO bearing on the heat in the console. That was a direct result of catalytic converters in the tunnel creating the heat. There have been substantial improvements to heat insulation as well as changes to increase cooling airflow down the tunnel to reduce heat substantially.

Allthebest, Paul

Robert Oostdyk, Welcome to CAC! :w You've already been helped by one of our best here. Thank you Paul for chiming in here. If anyone knows about the C7, it's Paul.

I'm pretty sure the OP's question related to the '15 Z06.

I'll guess that the Z06 has those fans because GM couldn't get the cooling needed for the additional load put on the trans and diff by the LT4 using the base car's air flow so, they added fans to increase cooling air flow.

As for the heat in the console, I can attest to what Paul says...the problem in '12/'13 with heat coming off the tunnel was fron the second set of cats located in the cavity at the head of the tunnel. I retrofitted my '12 with an '11 exhaust and got an instant reduction in heat in the console.

GM's improved thermal management in the tunnel of a '14 is such that they can get away with four cats and not have the problem they had with C6. Much of the improvement comes from a thermal insualtion product called "Aerogel".

Robert Oostdyk

Hi there,

#1, there is cooling fan assemblies on the AUTO TRANS COOLER for 2014 only, none for the manual cars or differential cooler.

#2, the transmission lines have NO bearing on the heat in the console. That was a direct result of catalytic converters in the tunnel creating the heat. There have been substantial improvements to heat insulation as well as changes to increase cooling airflow down the tunnel to reduce heat substantially.

Allthebest, Paul

Thanks Paul! I'm assuming that because you didn't mention that the non Z51's auto trans was still cooled in the radiator up front, that it has it's own heat exchanger in the back now.

Just one more thing on the auto trans cooling fan: Does it have operating parameters like vehicle speed or trans oil temp, or does it just operate any time the engine is running. -Because the PCM already gets trans temp, it would probably be pretty easy to control it that way via a relay...

On the guess

I'm pretty sure the OP's question related to the '15 Z06.

I'll guess that the Z06 has those fans because GM couldn't get the cooling needed for the additional load put on the trans and diff by the LT4 using the base car's air flow so, they added fans to increase cooling air flow.

As for the heat in the console, I can attest to what Paul says...the problem in '12/'13 with heat coming off the tunnel was fron the second set of cats located in the cavity at the head of the tunnel. I retrofitted my '12 with an '11 exhaust and got an instant reduction in heat in the console.

GM's improved thermal management in the tunnel of a '14 is such that they can get away with four cats and not have the problem they had with C6. Much of the improvement comes from a thermal insualtion product called "Aerogel".

Hib, that would only make sense on the Z06. GM does a pretty good job of takeing care of their enthusiast's needs and their toys as well(for auto-crossing etc.). Plus, when all the auto journalists get together to wring out all the sports cars at once, they can leave the puking to the other cars.;)
Thanks for the info on the heat shield.

My 2014 Stingray center console is much cooler than the console was on my 2012 ZR1.
I found one way to cool it down was to leave it open on long trips. I was worried about too much heat on my Ipod. :w

Thanks Paul! I'm assuming that because you didn't mention that the non Z51's auto trans was still cooled in the radiator up front, that it has it's own heat exchanger in the back now.

Just one more thing on the auto trans cooling fan: Does it have operating parameters like vehicle speed or trans oil temp, or does it just operate any time the engine is running. -Because the PCM already gets trans temp, it would probably be pretty easy to control it that way via a relay...

HI there,

No, both Z51 and non Z51 all have transmission coolers at the rear. There are NO pipes running up front for transmission cooling as in the c6.

As for operation, the chassis control module reads data from the transmission control module. Then, it will instruct the cooling fan control module to pulse width modulate the power to the fan, between 10 and 90 percent. This is based on vehicle speed, transmission temperature and other variables.

Engine control is also an input to the chassis control module, but is not as much of an input as the transmission control module.

Allthebest, Paul

Last edited:
i understand the lower air flow under the C-7 required these extra coolers to help cool the trans and rear gear

Re: In depth answer

Thanks Paul!
I also noticed Taj on the assembly line video with a duct that gets installed at the dealer ahead of the right rear wheel under the car for an additional cooler. is that additioanl cooler for the diff or for additional cooling on the Z-51?
Your info is hghly appreciated!

Thanks Paul!
I also noticed Taj on the assembly line video with a duct that gets installed at the dealer ahead of the right rear wheel under the car for an additional cooler. is that additioanl cooler for the diff or for additional cooling on the Z-51?
Your info is hghly appreciated!
HI there,

Cooler ducts are fully functional on COUPE if you have an automatic transmission cooler. The key is airflow around the glass and along the rear fenders. This enables the ducts to pull air into it and down to the coolers. There is no ability for airflow into the coolers from under the car, aerodynamics does not work this way on COUPE!

Now, on Z51, you have a differential cooler as well on the other side of the car but with NO FAN.

Convertibles do NOT have this ductwork due to the convertible top being in the way. They just have the coolers and the airflow works differently.

Allthebest, Paul

Cooling fan assembly on automatic trans cooler for 2014

Hi there,

Allthebest, Paul

Does the base Stingray with automatic transmission get the cooling fan assembly?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom