Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! heater control lighting

silkysully

Corvette
1999 pewter coupe
I have a 99 coupe and the heater control screen is not bright during the daytime. I was not sure if it is the unit or a sensor for daylight? Any ideas out there?

Your HVAC unit is a victim of cold solder joints. Easy fix if you know how to solder, however, you may end up fixing that problem and creating another problem with your LED's inside that unit. That's a fixable issue too, but you have GOT to know how to solder. If you're one of those 'leave a blob of solder' type guys, you should allow someone to fix it who knows what they are doing. A guy by the name of T-Star on the Corvette Forum offers the repair for a price, which is CHEAP compared to if you screw it up. The units go for around $400 if you have to replace it but the repair itself is less than $10 if you do it yourself and end up replacing all the bulbs.

Here's the repair that you need to do. It basically consist of re-flowing the cold solder on 8 resistors. That's it, problem fixed as long as your LED's don't blow. If they do, you need to replace them ALL (I think there are 15 of them). Easy for me, but I use to be a SMT technician for Motorola and I've fixed a ton of circuit boards.

dual_climate_resistors.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Junkman, my son is an electrician and is familiar with repairing circuit boards so with your excellent advice and photo's I will get the problem solved! Thanks again, Silkysully

Sounds like a plan.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom