Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Heater Control

Space Cowboy

Corvette
1968 Convertible - Candy Apple - 427/475+
I just had a new A/C control system installed into my 68 center console. The problem now is that when you turn on the heater, no heat actually comes out and the air come out of the defroster vents instead of the normal vents. This system has a new heater core, so I doubt thats the problem. Any ideas as to what I should look at first?

Thanks

I just had a new A/C control system installed into my 68 center console. The problem now is that when you turn on the heater, no heat actually comes out and the air come out of the defroster vents instead of the normal vents. This system has a new heater core, so I doubt thats the problem. Any ideas as to what I should look at first?

Thanks

I believe the controls run off of engine vacuum, so I would double check your vacuum lines and look for crossed lines.

I believe the controls run off of engine vacuum, so I would double check your vacuum lines and look for crossed lines.

Pure nonsense - that's fiction. Checking the vacuum lines will do nothing to improve... Ahh gotcha! Just kidding!... I couldn't help it! :rotfl

Ralph

I'd expect the shop that installed it to have it working when they were finished with the job. :eyerole

So you are saying that when it is set to heat, the air comes out of the defrosters? If so, something is not adjusted right, or the vacuum hoses are hooked up wrong to the control, or the control is messed up even though it is new.

Here's something I posted on my website WAY back.. 2 years ago.. Heater AC Problems

I had every possible problem with the AC and heater. Finally got it resolved. Hope it helps.

Vacuum

Vacuum leaks and binding doors can cause flappers to not close, not close completely, or be flakey. Air doesn't flow where it should.

There's a hot water shutoff valve to keep the water out of the core when the temperature is in the cold position. The on/off valve is on the heater box in side the car. The shutoff is inline on one of the heater hoses. Vacuum closes it. When it sticks due to age/rust, it usually sticks open. If you have heat, you have an open valve. With the temperature control set to full cold, you should feel vacuum if you disconnect it from the inline shutoff valve. If not, adjust or replace the switch inside the car. Important. You cannot buy a replacement vacuum switch. The one people are selling is for the wiper door on earlier chrome bumper cars. The spring is too strong and will keep you from moving the properly adjusted cable to the cold position. Someone posted a tip where they use the old spring on a new switch. I decided to convert to an electrical shutoff system. Either is fine.

The temperature control is by cable. It might be out of adjustment. You might be blending some hot air into the system. If this cable is not adjusted properly, it won't activate the switch above. There's an adjusting mechanism inline on the cable about midway down the length. You might have to remove the right side console panel to find it. You twist to shorten/lengthen the cable.

On Max A/C, internal air is recirculated. On normal, external air is brought in. This is done with a vacuum controlled valve on the right side near the passengers foot behind the kick plate. If this isn't functioning, you might not be getting the recirculation you expect on Max. An upstream vacuum leak can be a pain to find. I had one of these. Flapper valves were not functioning properly. Turned out to be a leaky hot water shutoff switch. I replaced the mechanical vacuum switch with a microswitch and a vacuum solenoid. Perfect now. I'll have to document this.

With A/C, this vent is the intake for recirculating air. No fresh air flows through it. All fresh air goes through the dash vents. If it is open, you are recirculating what's inside the car. This happens on MAX AC only.

Any vacuum leak is deadly to the A/C on this car. You've got to fix it or none of the flappers work. All vacuum comes through a tiny tube. It enters near the heater box and there's a T connection next to the hot water shutoff switch inside the car on top the heater box. In my car, this valve was leaking slightly. Even a tiny leak bleeds off the vacuum before it can open a valve, door, etc.

The vacuum leak might be causing the defrost door to flip in the wrong direction or the vent / floor to go the wrong way. I can't recall which direction is the default (no vacuum). I'll see if I can find my notes on this. My leak was causing the door between vent and floor to operate slowly or not completely. It was a mess.

Sounds like the control vacuum lines are not connected correctly. Moving the control to defrost should open the selector door down by your feet and allow the air to be directed to and exit the defroster duct. If you're not getting any warm air, check the hot water valve and ensure it's opening. There's a vacuum line to it, also.

Do you have the '68 assembly instruction manual (AIM)? The options section of the AIM (C60) has a schematic of the '68 AC vacuum lines at the control, what they do, where they go, and what they operate during the different settings.

The '68 AC control and vac system is (of course) one year only.

:)

Hey Gary,
I was reading your post about the A/C problems. I live in South Florida where we have two temperatures hot and really hot. Is there any way to modify the A/C flapper valves so that the system stays in the recirculate mode on Max and regular A/C modes?

Find a vacuum diagram and start tracking them down. Make sure the feed lins is hooked to the intake and the vacuum valve in the console is connected. Do you hear any hissing when you move the mode wheel?

Hey Gary,

I'm having trouble with my 82 in that the A/C blows cold air but only through the lower heater duct. Pulled the dash all apart and the a/c and defrost flapper doors will not open. I connected a manual vacuum pump to the hose with the blue stripe and the defrost flapper opened. Then connected the vacuum pump to the hose with the tan stripe and the A/C flapper opened. But it won't happen on it's own.

It used to work just fine - then one day...well you know!

Any ideas?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom