Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Heater core replacement

74vette

My 74 has no A/C. Can I replace my core through the fire wall? The only instructions I have read deals with a A/C optioned car and it tells you to go through the dash. Thanks for any info.

Thanks for the info, it really helped.
74vette

Welcome

Welcome to both of you. What a great way for new members to jump right in and use the forums.

An amazing photo essay on the heater core replacement. I know it will help a lot of people. Unfortunately this is a repair that happens all too often with the resulting wet carpet. Would you consider posting your pictures on the Tech Center so it will be there for future reference?

Thanks,
Tom

Tom,

Thanks for the warm welcome. The photo essay, however, is not mine. The pics were taken by Paul (platour@home.com) when he replaced the heater core of his '79. They have already helped many people, and I believe if you contact him he would be happy to post the pics on the tech center.

When it was my turn to replace the heater core I had all the interior already conveniently removed, so it wasn't a big problem, and I ended up removing the inner and outer heater boxes and rebuilding them completely.

-Pedro

heater

Sounds like you did a thorough job. It is definately not one of those jobs you want to do over when the car is all back together.

Tom

Heater Core PM

This may help someone prevent heater core rot out problems. In Florida we don't use the heaters very much but occasionally we do need them. My mechanic told me to turn the heater on for a while during the summer months to circulate the fluids. During non-use the sediments build up in the core and will eventually cause it to leak. In addition, drain, backflush and add new coolant to the system every year. This will not eliminate heater core rot outs but it will extend the life of your core and cooling system.

Great Idea

Pedro,

I love the idea of taking pictures during a tricky repair. Pictures are indeed worth a 1000 words. As all have said before, welcome to the CAC.

....... Nut

Nut,

Thanks for the welcome. I wish I could take credit for that photo album, but no, those pics are not mine. I've been documenting every single thing I do to my car, but I wonder when I'll ever have the time to put the pics together and finish my "projeKts" pages...

-Pedro

74vette,
a quick word of advice. Be careful when you are removing the nuts that hold the heater box to the fire wall. They are probably very rusty. If you break them (as I did :mad: ) they are a real PITA to replace. Now I have to go in through the dash side to replace the bolts!
Live and learn I guess.

Cheers,

Stew

How'd I miss you guys... WELCOME to The Corvette Action Center

Stewart's74; Pedro'74; 74vette Welcome to the Corvette Action Center :D

My goodness looks like a gaggle of 74's have arrived ;) We have a HERD of 81's here and bunches of other SHARKS too. Hope you have some time to take a tour through the entire Corvette Action Center site. Rob has put together one of the BEST Corvette information centers anywhere, not to mention the Solid Axle Lounge & Forums. We have specs, body shops and even E-Vette Cards in the Site Resources :J

You guys fit perfect, welcome Home.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom