Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! heater core

81and95

Corvette
81 Red on Red 4 speed and 95 Red Auto (hers)
;helpHeater core is sending steam into the interior. I think I can do it myself:confused. How hard is it, and do you change it from the engine compartment or the interior.
I bought it in Oct. 2009,it had been sitting for most of 16 years before I got it, all original unmolested and I got it from the original owner. I pulled it out of winter storage and the heater core, horn and the power antana went while driving it home. I knew I would have these problems. That's part of the fun of having an older car. Thanks for the help.

;helpHeater core is sending steam into the interior. I think I can do it myself:confused. How hard is it, and do you change it from the engine compartment or the interior.
I bought it in Oct. 2009,it had been sitting for most of 16 years before I got it, all original unmolested and I got it from the original owner. I pulled it out of winter storage and the heater core, horn and the power antana went while driving it home. I knew I would have these problems. That's part of the fun of having an older car. Thanks for the help.
By-pass it if you want to use the car now. The interior has to be removed. On a 79 coupe I had, the seats, lower dash, drop the steering wheel,remove everything and there it was, the heater core. It's true , they built the car around it..Get a service manual and bone up on it, it'll go faster, less aggravation. Good luck " Whether you think you can or think you can't, you are correct" Yoda (Circa:Recently)

Thanks

Thanks for the heads up. It sounds like next winters project. I can live with the bypass for 1 summer. Some Buffalo summer evenings, can still be chilly.

Thanks for the heads up. It sounds like next winters project. I can live with the bypass for 1 summer. Some Buffalo summer evenings, can still be chilly.

not for long!!!!!:thumb:thumb

It will take the better part of day. You do it from the inside. Only one bolt on the engine site and off course getting the hoses off from underneath.

Access its through the glove box, remove it. Remove the side panel on the console. Depending on how tight your duct work is you may have to remove the center cluster.

Jim

I ended up removing the center cluster. Most of it was done through the glove box opening. It will take you a while to do, just take your time and lots of pictures so you will know what everything should look like when you put it back together. You know that the heater core is the first part of the car on the assembly line.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom