Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Heater Core

air1jpg

Corvette
1996 Polo Green LT1 Coupe
My heater core is leaking onto the windshield. A well established Corvette repair shop in my area gave me an estimate of 950.00 to replace my heater core. I was told by a knowlegable buddy at work that I may have a pin hole in my heater core and I could seal it with a small amount of bars leak stop to enable me to drive it a while longer. What do you all think? Also, is 950.00 a fair price to change out a heater core on a 96 vette? :confused

Thank you for the reply, I will shop around for a better estimate. Can the bars leak be used temporarily? Or would it do more damage than good? :ugh

Thank you for the reply, I will shop around for a better estimate. Can the bars leak be used temporarily? Or would it do more damage than good? :ugh

It is true that "Bars Leak" and other "stop leak" products which coat the inside of the cooling system with a sort of pliable goo can "stop" tiny leaks, however, you have no evidence yet that the leak in your heater core is in fact small enough to be sealed with a stop leak product.

The downside of such products?

They coat the inside of the entire cooling system: radiator, engine and head cooling jackets, heater core and hoses with a pliable sort of rubbery "skin" that is supposed to flow into and seal tiny leaks.

Problem is, that coating inhibits heat transfer from the hot parts of the engine block and heads to the coolant so, yeah, it may fix a tiny leak but you do that at the expense of cooling efficiency.

The best "temporary" fix is to bypass the heater core, get it fixed when you can afford it and not use stop leak products.

But, if you must try a stop leak, whatever you do, don't use it a second time if the first attempt doesn't stop the leak. Repeated applications of stop leak products add thickness to that coating and each layer decreases heat transfer.

It is true that "Bars Leak" and other "stop leak" products which coat the inside of the cooling system with a sort of pliable goo can "stop" tiny leaks, however, you have no evidence yet that the leak in your heater core is in fact small enough to be sealed with a stop leak product.

The downside of such products?

They coat the inside of the entire cooling system: radiator, engine and head cooling jackets, heater core and hoses with a pliable sort of rubbery "skin" that is supposed to flow into and seal tiny leaks.

Problem is, that coating inhibits heat transfer from the hot parts of the engine block and heads to the coolant so, yeah, it may fix a tiny leak but you do that at the expense of cooling efficiency.

The best "temporary" fix is to bypass the heater core, get it fixed when you can afford it and not use stop leak products.

But, if you must try a stop leak, whatever you do, don't use it a second time if the first attempt doesn't stop the leak. Repeated applications of stop leak products add thickness to that coating and each layer decreases heat transfer.

Thanks for the reply Hib. Sounds like there is more of a chance of making things worse than anything good that will come out of using the stop leak products. I think I will look for a better estimate and save the money up to get it fixed right. :thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom