Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hedman Headers

Corvette
1987 Z52 Black Convertible
I might be able to get a set of new Hedman long tube headers for around 480 bucks or so. I was wondering how good are they? And what brands are better. Thanks

Justin

Don't waste your money on Hedman. They are known for warpage at the flanges (and thus leaks). For your C4, I would go with Hooker or TPiS. These are around $480. Hedmans can be had for about $200 less (for good reason)
from Summitracing or Jegs.

Ok well one of my buddies brothers who is not stupid said Hedman is a good brand they have been around forever. He also said to check Flowtechs, he said that they are a sister company to Hooker? Anybody know anything about Flowtech and if they are good or bad? I appreciate any comments you guys have, thanks

Justin

Well I'm, not stupid either. And I'm telling you $480 for Hedman LT headers is a RIP-OFF, PERIOD. As a matter of fact, IMO they are a rip-off AT ANY PRICE. Don't get them. I have no knowledge of Flowtechs, personal or via the grapevine. I can say Hooker is a pretty decent product. I have the Hoooker Super Comps #2149.

I just saw a pair of TPIS's sell for $600 on eBay. Seller claims they were never installed and they didn't look used from the pictures.

U get what U pay for, if UR lucky.

Get ceramic coated, whatever you choose.

Will cutting the flanges between each pair of bolts help with the warpage?

Lots written on headers on other threads, too. :w

I don't have any experience with flowtechs on a C4 but on my C3 they bolted up perfectly, no problems at all, I got them for $180Cdn for the pair and that was just painted but they were all i needed, they are the long tube headers and I've had them only a year but I have no problems sp far

Anyone here dealt with the Lingenfelter headers? They're pretty costly and I wondered if the name has much to do with such a high price.

I can get the Hooker Headers for about 605, that is shipped and with the ceramic coding on them already. Is that to much to pay?

Justin

Hedman are considered and average header and they have been around for a while. Their sister company are also average. Both headers use thinner guage tubing.
$200 for either are the average price and a good deal you can get them for $14- to $160 For a better fit, better quality, longer life and performance this is not a area to cut corners. Buy the TPIS or Hooker you wont be sorry.

I dont like Hedman quality.

Hooker 2149 or 2151 (depending on whether you want the AIR piping), or the TPiS unit are both good, yet expensive with the ceramic coating.

Lingenfelter no longer makes headers for us, but you may find a set on ebay.

My neighbor likes Hooker headers on his cars. He doesn't like Hedman very much; thinks their build quality isn't up to par.

I've read that the TPIS are one of the best headers out there. But I think I'll pass on them with that big price tag. :eyerole

Yea I can't afford 750 which I think it was last time I checked for tpis headers, guess i'll just leave it the way it is.

Justin

Alternative Idea

One thing you could consider. Maybe shorty headers instead. You dont get the same performance improvement as you would with long tubes but they are cheaper and you will get some improvement over stock exhaust manifold.
How much improvement do you need or where is your goal or target.
Also if you have to consider emissions this could be cheaper.
Just a idea.
I know I am looking at using shortys with removing the pre-cats and just having a new high flow main cat.
Will have improvement but will still be legal.

Are there any performance gains to having coated headers or are coated headers pretty much a cosmetic thing?

The coating is for heat reduction in the compartment, if you had uncoated they'll definitely fry a starter and theyll be hot for a long time, coated headers you can touch after a hour or two.

It also protects against rust, and it looks good.

To the above cosmetic and heat comments, I'd add that coating the insides offers a smoother surface which affords better flow due to a thinner surface disturbance layer.

I achieved seat-of-the-pants-discernable thermal efficiency improvements with ThermoTech wrap (painted) on uncoated headers, but I much prefer the coating, which does not cost all that much more than two rolls of wrap plus their special paint.

For me, I'll never opt for uncoated headers again, and would urge those waiting to buy, to wait just a bit longer; save a bit more, then get the coated ones. You'll be glad you did.

Edmond said:
Are there any performance gains to having coated headers or are coated headers pretty much a cosmetic thing?
There are performance gains to be had with PROPERLY coated headers (i.e. Jet Hot coating), but said gains are minimal at best for the average street car. If you were trying to extract every single available last ounce of HP for a race car, yes....but not your streeter.
Primarily, the benefits of coating headers are cosmetic, and corrosion resistance. Plus, coated headers cut down on underhood heat (at least in the case of Jet Hot), due to the insulating effect. Does this help? :)

Guys,

Thanks for the replies to my coated vs. uncoated question. Has anyone here actually had their starter get fried from the heat or know anyone that has had that happen to them?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom