Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Heh..Cool....Sparks Again....

Viet Nam Vett

Corvette
65 BB 502 Cp /MSD ATOMIC EFI/ 2009-HUMMER H2
Just got back a little while ago from running the 65 around and terrorizing the neihborhood with the Sweet Thunder Sidepipes. I just got me my new Salad State Digital 10 Billion Dollar Timing Light with all kinds of bell's and tooter's.

So. I hooked it up to the 502 to check out the digital advance roll back feature. Very cool..It really works well. I also went thru all of the functions on the push button Who-Ha Panel.....also very cool.

While I was leaning in over the motor and running the motor up to around 2500 Revs I suddenly got me a nice electric shock and it knocked me back ..!! WTF... Not Aain..!!

I was leaning kinda on my Power Master 9 Billion Amp alternator near the top where the Heim Joint adjuster is for belt tension. WTF..??? How in the hell did I get zapped this time. So I stood back and reved it again. AAAAhh--Haaaaa..!! I Looked Down at the Heim joint and.. holy Gack Bat Man...Big blue and yellow Sparks jumping from the Alternator mounting arm to the Heim joint..!!

I don't have a seperate wire grounding the case of the Alernator as my thinking was that it is grounded thru the mounting brackets which bolt directly to the cyl head and of course directly to ground.

So..looks like I have to add a nice heavy ground lead from the case directly to the motor. Man ...that sucker was speuwing some sparks....!!!:ugh

So check your case grounds on your Alternator's...

:beer

Viet Nam Vett said:
While I was leaning in over the motor and running the motor up to around 2500 Revs I suddenly got me a nice electric shock and it knocked me back ..!! WTF... Not Aain..!!
Boy oh boy Mark, assuming this has happened often to you, that sure explains a lot...;LOL

Happy New Year (by the way)!!!!:D

Viet Nam Vett said:
So check your case grounds on your Alternator's...

When I switched up to the later alternator, I made sure to hook up the ground from my new wiring harness to one of the case bolts holding the two halves together.

Good warning, Mark.

Denney said:
Boy oh boy Mark, assuming this has happened often to you, that sure explains a lot...;LOL

Happy New Year (by the way)!!!!:D

And a Happy one to you to Mr D...!!

67HEAVEN said:
When I switched up to the later alternator, I made sure to hook up the ground from my new wiring harness to one of the case bolts holding the two halves together.

Good warning, Mark.

Yeah...There's a ground screw in the lower section of the case..but I didn't have a Metric Screw to fit the case...So...I said....Nah...It'll ground thru the bracket...EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEhhhhhh...!!! Wrong..!!:D

shocking, just shocking

Hey viet nam vet, ever wonder why there are some of us who have to learn everything the hard way-Could write a book on this, bet you could too. Anyway it's an interesting fraternity to belong to. It's like when you know the world has dealt you another one, you just say pass me another beer and hang on.

Heh... I seem to recognize the avatar from somewhere, VNV... :D

-Mac

Mac said:
Heh... I seem to recognize the avatar from somewhere, VNV... :D

-Mac
......:L ....

humcihb.jpg

This Hummer H3 sure has some nice wheels..huh Polly..??

jimbo64 said:
Hey viet nam vet, ever wonder why there are some of us who have to learn everything the hard way-Could write a book on this, bet you could too. Anyway it's an interesting fraternity to belong to. It's like when you know the world has dealt you another one, you just say pass me another beer and hang on.

Right you are there Jimbo.... Life is nothing more then a series of problems.. All you have to do is solve them one at a time. When it comes to our Corvette Hobby... it's much easier when you have a nice place like this and good people like yourself to help with the Problem solving..

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom