Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

HEI Coil Capacitor 1976 L-48

wrc3

Corvette
1976 L-48
On my 1976 L-48 a wire runs from the HEI coil "TACH" line to a capacitor and then to a line running into the dash and to the tach. Is this the way this is supposed to be rigged? Currently I have ordered 2 new capacitors, each supposedly the correct fit for my vehicle and neither one has the correct fittings or looks the same as the current one. I feel either I can't get this part in which case my tach remains dead or I need to rerig it which I have no idea how to do.

B

Mine is dead because the wire that goes into the capacitor cracked at entry. I will probably resolder it, but I would rather replace it as the wiring looks extremely old as does the capacitor.

B

Anybody have a digital snapshot of a 1976 or similar stock distributor they want to send me? Just so I can see what the capacitor is supposed to look like?

B

is tach filter needed?

/B ... On my 1976 L-48 a wire runs from the HEI coil "TACH" line to a capacitor and then to a line running into the dash and to the tach.

B:
I believe the factory "capacitor" you speak of is often referred to as a "tach filter." I have heard that tach can function without the filter and ... heard opposite that tach will not function without filter ... I dunno. I'm gonna convert a points-type over to HEI & factory elec tach ... I'd need to know if factory tach filter is needed? Perhaps someone else here will know? I too understand circuit board is common failure.
JACK:gap

Oh great so I was calling it the wrong thing. That would explain a great deal.

B

Hey thanks a lot for the info. You wouldn't happen to know where I could pick one up do you? I have looked at a couple of places and they claim they are discontinued.

B

B:
Commonly referred to as tach filter does NOT mean you are calling it wrong. I am also referring to tach filter (looks like a canister capacitor) that is outside HEI dist.
JACK:gap

Thanks for your help. I will probably repost another message with the topic Tach Filter now that I know what it is properly called.

B

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom