Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hello, New member from Massachusetts. I'm 66 and looking to buy a used Corvette within the year

quinteastwood

This will be my first Corvette. I'm looking to spend about 12,000.00 or a little more if it's a good deal. I like the C5 with the standard 400HP. My question is what kind of mileage can I expect the Corvette to last keeping up with maintaining it?

Being from MA will the salt and winter be a problem with rust being that it's a fiberglass body? Also how much does it cost to replace the tires? I drive about 6000 miles a year although I'm sure that will change if I purchase a vette.

My name is Gerard and it was a pleasure introducing myself to the Community. Looking forward to learning more about the Corvette and the mechanical workings of this fine sports car. MIAB( made in America baby)

Regards,
Gerard

Hi Gerard,

My name is Elaine Kemp, and I live in MA also, just south of Boston. Also, welcome to the Corvette Action Center and to the World of Corvettes!

First of all, the C5 has 350 hp. The 400 hp came out in 2005 when the C6 generation began. As far as snow, salt, and ice...the Corvette is really not a car to consider driving in those conditions. They just do not handle well.

Depending on what tire you choose, whether run-flats or non run-flats, the prices will vary, but I think about $1,000 would be a reasonable figure.

The C5's can last for many miles if they are maintained properly, and they have a good reputation and track record for durability and dependability.

Gerard, I sell Corvettes for Corvette Mike New England in Carver, MA. I'd be happy to help you choose the right one. One thing I would add is that $12,000 is a very low figure for a C5 in great condition. You might want to consider a higher budget. Also, if you do decide on a C5, I would strongly suggest a 2001 or newer.

Please feel free to contact me at any time.

Elaine

C5 Z06’s did have 405 HP in their later years. It’s not as much about you maintaining a used vehicle as much as it is about the previous service history, if all was done properly and on time you may get 2-300,000 miles out of one. The Michelin run flats I buy usually run about $12-1300.00 out the door, non run flats are cheaper. Remember, no spare tire in a C5.

Welcome to CAC!!!
Enjoy!!!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Welcome & good luck with your search.

The 1997-2004 C5 had three different engines available.

97-04 Base: LS1 350-hp
01 Z06: first design LS6, 385-hp
02-04 Z06: second design LS6, 405-hp

As "GS Diva" says, 12 large for a C5 in good condition is pretty low. If that's your limit you'd better be a intermediate DIY ready for a car that needs some work.

On the other hand, if you bump your budget up to the 16-18 large range you can find something nicer.

Best C5s, IMO, are the 04 Z06es with the 405-hp engine and the improved shock valving.

Right on the three C5 engines Hib. You and I both have (had) LS6s.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom