Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Helm service manual v.s. dealer manuals

KGjevre

How does the Helm (I think that is where I got it from) GM Chevrolet Corvette Service Manual with wiring diagram compare to the manuals that a Chevrolet dealer would have?

The issue is that the dealer where I have my car is telling me that they do not have the wiring diagram that they need and that they are trying to locate it and get it from a different dealer.

Since I have the 1990 Helm GM Chevrolet Corvette Service Manual with wiring diagram for my car I was going to offer the dealer that I can bring that to them, but I am not sure if this would be comparible to what they need.

Thanks,
Kristoffer Gjevre
1990 Corvette coupe 6spd

Schematics

Are schematics... the wiring guy..if he needs MORE info will get what he needs... but this should help him.... whats the problem with your ride?

Vig!

It is a rather long and painful story, and this is the short version:

The car quit running a while back and I took it to a dealer to get it fixed.
I went to a dealer so I could also get the airbag warring light fixed that a Corvette shop was not able to fix and recommended me to go to a dealer.

The dealer, with the help of GM Engineering and a GM field rep, traced it down to a shorted wire under the right side of the dash, which had caused several components to get shorted out. The dealer fixed the short and replaced some electrical connectors, and thought they were done, until they discovered that the AC compressor would not run any more. This was traced to a wiring error by them and fixed, and I got the car back.

I then immediately discovered that there now were no manual control of the heater/AC interior blower fan speed (the car has the electronic heater/AC system).

I took the car back a few days later (dropped it off Monday night last week), and on Friday the service manager told me they were looking for the wiring diagram to fix it, and should have that on Monday.

It seems to me that this is just an excuse for why that have not worked on it yet, although the service manager claims they have worked on it, but when I picked some stuff up from the car this weekend it was not disassembled in any way at all.

My other more significant point is that they should have had the complete wiring diagram while they were doing the other work on the car.

The bottom line is that I want to find out if the wiring diagram that I have would be just as good as what they are looking for.

-kg

Funny...NOT!

My car had a lot less problems after I stopped taking it to MacPherson Chevrolet for repairs; the same time the warranty expired!

All the GM manuals I own are printed by Helm. My (GM employed) uncle provided the '87 manual, sourced through Generous Motors.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom