Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help!!!! Balanced TB's and now issues!!!

J

Jkpowers

I need help!! Ive got an 84 coupe I recently picked up that I've had a great time fixing up. Did a full tune up which made my friends think I dropped a whole new motor in.(got the feeling car was sat up not running for a few years)

Car is pretty bone stock other than k&n filter, new chip from DCS and an 85 fuel pump(although I'm still waiting on adjustment tool and fuel pressure gauge from DCS to bump the fuel pressure up). They just take forever and a day to ship anything.

But here's my problem. This weekend I was getting kinda ancy for some more improvement and decided to balance the TB's. I built a good manometer, plugged the right holes and adjusted accordingly. Car ran good for 1 night then starting cutting out and dying which it hasn't done since before the tuneup I did a few months ago. Car was very reliable, I even drove cross country and back I'm it.
Now I cannot get the car to idle normal by adjusting the TBs without blocking the kidney shaped IAC ports I believe they're called. I need help!!!! Now I just want it back to normal lol

Did you reset the throttle postion sensor after the balancing?
The IAC ports should have been blocked when you did the initial balancing. You can also block them by turning ignition ON, no start, then pull IAC harness connectors. Start the motor and balance TBs. And yes, then reset the TPS to .54v or so.

Yes I did block the IAC ports but did not reset the TPS.... So now I'm going to rebalance the TB's b/c I messed with it trying to get it to idle lower once I unblocked the IAC ports. So once I rebalance and unblock those ports I just have to reset the TPS? Is it a multimeter that I'm going to use for that? But do I make the actual adjustment on the multimeter or some on the sensor itself?

Thank you guys so much for your help. This is my first vette and it has been a really fun learning experience but with this one I was just like oh shit I shouldn't of even bothered lol. I really appreciate it as it is my daily driver and I'm still in school so bumming rides everywhere the last two days has not been fun. I swear its one of the worst feeling to be to not have your own wheels.

Also will I need to rebalance TB's once I am able to bump the fuel pressure up to make use of that '85 pump I installed?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom