Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Corvette Damaged in Body Shop!!

N

Nancy S

I had my 2003 in the shop to have body repair from an accident that was not my fault. When I picked up the car everything looked fine, until the weekend when I put the car up on the lift to change the oil. During the cars repair, the passenger door was taken off and put back on again. The bottom of the sill panel (threasthhold) is badly scratched. (I'd say gouges, is more like it). I went back to the shop to tell them about the damage under the car and they deny doing it.

Here's what I think happened. The car was lifted to put the passenger door back on. Something was under the car when it was brought down. Someone pulled it out from under the car, scratching it badly. Even if we go with the story that the person was unaware that he scratched it, the facts remain. The scratches go horizontal from about the middle of the car. they are freshly made. Still has fiberglass dust in the area. There is no way to make these marks by driving, they go the wrong way, and there is no dirt on the car.

I'm going to tell the insurance company today, and add a whole lot to the diminished value claim on my car. Please help, is there something else I can do. I'm afraid this will eventually crack and cause more problems.

Nancy S said:
I had my 2003 in the shop to have body repair from an accident that was not my fault. When I picked up the car everything looked fine, until the weekend when I put the car up on the lift to change the oil. During the cars repair, the passenger door was taken off and put back on again. The bottom of the sill panel (threasthhold) is badly scratched. (I'd say gouges, is more like it). I went back to the shop to tell them about the damage under the car and they deny doing it.

Here's what I think happened. The car was lifted to put the passenger door back on. Something was under the car when it was brought down. Someone pulled it out from under the car, scratching it badly. Even if we go with the story that the person was unaware that he scratched it, the facts remain. The scratches go horizontal from about the middle of the car. they are freshly made. Still has fiberglass dust in the area. There is no way to make these marks by driving, they go the wrong way, and there is no dirt on the car.

I'm going to tell the insurance company today, and add a whole lot to the diminished value claim on my car. Please help, is there something else I can do. I'm afraid this will eventually crack and cause more problems.
They don't lift cars to put on doors but you're on the right track. There's for no better word, a contraption similar to a modified floor jack, used to hold doors while they are set in. In many shops they simply use a floor jack and ballance the door on it. Both line up perfectly so to easily damage the rocker panel on a Corvette.

Another thing... Did you pick this repair shop or were you sent there by the insurance company? Big huge difference.

Richard.

Thanks Richard for the insight. I got to pick, but the adjuster highly recommended them. I have an appointment with the adjuster for diminished value tomorrow, we'll jst have to add more for this. Just curious as to the importance of having the scratches fixed, as I don't want any further damage to be caused by not repairing it now. Thanks again to everyone.

Nancy S said:
Thanks Richard for the insight. I got to pick, but the adjuster highly recommended them. I have an appointment with the adjuster for diminished value tomorrow, we'll jst have to add more for this. Just curious as to the importance of having the scratches fixed, as I don't want any further damage to be caused by not repairing it now. Thanks again to everyone.
If the shop is on the insurance's list of vendors the insurance is responsible for the repairs basically forever regardless of what the shop admits to being responsible for. I'm big on not using any shops affiliated with the insurance companies as the client loses control of the claim and even payments go dirrectly to the shops. On the other hand this helps the DV claim as the insurance company is responsible for the actions of the shop. It's really best to obtain repairs in the best possible manner that results in the least amount of Loss of Value.
You can simply keep the money paid for the repair of the rocker panel and not fix it.

Richard.

Oh No, Here we go AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!

Should I make flyers for this???????? :L

I hope you get it taken care of!!!!!! Good luck!

theblackvette said:
Should I make flyers for this???????? :L

I hope you get it taken care of!!!!!! Good luck!
I get a kick out of this really. DV claims are relatively a new thing for autos in insurance. Just a handfull of years ago few even knew about them much less tried to collect on DV. Thank the lawyers who fight against insurance companies forcing you to go to their places for sub-standard work. Someone, some where, in the ivory towers of the big insurance companies squirms everytime a DV claim is turned in.

Richard.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom