Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Fix for rear spoiler / wing

silver98

Corvette
1998 Sebring Silver Coupe
Hi folks,
A friend has a C-4 with the rear deck lid wing / spoiler. The bolts that hold the wing onto the deck are a bit loose. He was able to tighten the rearward bolt by accessing it through a hole on the top of the inside taillight recess. The forward bolt is casauing a bit of a problem. He removed the plate around the gas cap, but said the tank was right there and was unable to get to the forward bolt. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Joe

silver98 said:
Hi folks,
A friend has a C-4 with the rear deck lid wing / spoiler. The bolts that hold the wing onto the deck are a bit loose. He was able to tighten the rearward bolt by accessing it through a hole on the top of the inside taillight recess. The forward bolt is casauing a bit of a problem. He removed the plate around the gas cap, but said the tank was right there and was unable to get to the forward bolt. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Joe

Try removing the license plate and back up light assembly

nyernga said:
Try removing the license plate and back up light assembly
He mentioned that was the way to get to the taillight bulbs for replacement, but wasn't sure he could get a socket up there. I'll give him your suggestion.

He could try using a gear wrench...or removing the taillight lens. for that you need a long extension, a swivel, and a #10 socket.

Hey Jon,

Great idea! We talked about that at the Auto-X, but he was clueless on how to remove the taillight lens :ugh

I told him he needs to get the service manual, but $$$ may be a concern. With out being a pest, could you provide directions on how to remove the taillight lens? A cursory glance by me didn't reveal any torx bolts on the lens.

Sorry for all the questions, but I am C4 stupid. Maybe I should change my logon screen name to that. :L

First off, its not a piece of cake. What you need for tools is a rachet, about a foot and a half of extension, and a #10 swivel...preferably one of these.
05503-t.gif
...but a plain swivel with a socket will work.

Look at the turning light on the passenger side under the front hood. You will see the type of bulb connector that is used on the rear tail/stop lights. Practice how it is removed with that one. Notice you have to squeeze the tabs and turn it to remove the connector/bulb-socket. Now get a friend with long skinny arms and have him reach up from under the car and remove the two inner connector/bulb-sockets. Now get your tools mentioned above and slip the socket over one of the three bolts holding the lens in. Do the same to the other two bolts and the lens pops out the back. It will be fustrating, but it can be done. Good luck

Much great thanks everyone! You are all the best!! I'll give him the info tonight, and the CAC web address. He needs to be here asking his own questions.

You guys are really terrific, thanks again,
Joe

And just so you can't say you didn't get one from a C5, well here it is: :w

Thanks

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom