Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help for a noob

C

Cream79L82

:booty
Hello everyone out there nice enough to look at my post. As you might have already deduced, I am new to this forum. I do indeed own a 1979 light beige mirror top L-82, 3.36 posi with a stock Q-jet and a K&N, 1" long tubes with straight pipes and flows, 15" craigar's with fat BFG radials, a cam with I'm not quite sure how big of a lift, the extra cooling package, a viper alarm, a kenwood deck and 12 speakers right now. I've got some chrome under the hood already and I stuck a heat shield on the starter so the headers stop cooking it. I hope to get some pictures of it online soon. I still smell like fast orange because I've been creepin around underneath there tonight on my night off. Had to tear apart the console to fix the contact for the passenger side power window, put on a new header collector gasket on the left exhaust and checked the starter wiring because it wanted to give me trouble last night. Which, although unrelated, brings me to some questions...

I think my 4-barrel Q is capable of 650 cfm, but I don't know. I know basically nothing about carbs and would like for anyone to tell my anything they know about my setup and what my next one should be if I still want super reliability, maybe decent gas mileage (hah), and some balls out performance when opened up, and... oh yeah, I really think it would awesome if I put a teensy little shot of NOS, about 50 or 75, on the beast in case any ricey shlt wants to try and hang around with me.

With these things in mind or anything else, please write until you're tired and I promise I'll read every word. Glad I found you guys. Happy import eatin'.

-Jon

Cream79L82 said:
I think my 4-barrel Q is capable of 650 cfm, but I don't know.
The Corvette Q-Jet is 750 CFM. But since it has vacuum secondaries it will only deliver whatever the engine is capable of using.

tom...

jet

/JON: I think my 4-barrel Q is capable of 650 cfm, but I don't know. I know basically nothing about carbs and would like for anyone to tell my anything they know about my setup and what my next one should be if I still want super reliability, maybe decent gas mileage
Jon:
Welcome to CACC! Your Qjet is about 750 cfm ... virtually all are. With proper setup & tune, a Qjet is tough to beat for what you're asking for.
JACK:gap

This is awesome. I posted my first post 30 minutes ago and already have 2 replies. This is going to be fun. :s

Cream79L82 said:
This is awesome. I posted my first post 30 minutes ago and already have 2 replies. This is going to be fun. :s
Must be a slow night :D

The Q is super reliable and from what I've gotten off CAC, and personal experience, great reliability. Learn about it and use it. They didn't just stick it on corvettes for no reason at all. Welcome to CAC. Jim

You don't need NOS to beat a ricebox! You already have a magic substance called "torque" that no 4-banger can match!

If you want to improve gas mileage, put a 4-speed auto tranny in your car. Instead of screaming along a 3000 rpm on the freeway, you'll be cruising at 2000 rpm!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom