Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help me decide....6 speed or 700r4+FI?

J

joshs78sleeper

Ok....Recently blew my engine, so im putting in a new tranny at the same time. The car currently has a th350. I really wanted to put a six speed into it at first, however i dont know if its a job I want to tackle now. I need the car back on the road sometime soon and I envision that not happening with a richmond 6 speed.

Now Im thinking of going with the 700r4 as i need overdrive. If I go with the 700r4 I will also be able to put the edelbrock performer rpm MPFI kit on as well. If I opt for the 6 speed I will not be able to get the fuel injection.

I already have a 3,000 stall TCI torque converter for the 700 sitting at my house from a previous project gone bad. And If I get the 700 it will be the tci street fighter version. But the converter is non-lockup so I would have to go with the non-lockup trans as well. What exactly does the Lock-up converter do and is there a disadvantage to going without it?

Also If anybody can answer this...Going with the fuel injection, new engine, and new tranny....will I need to buy anything else small such as distributor?

So what do you all think? Six Speed with probably a lot of headaches? Or should I go with the 700r4 with fuel injection as well?

fuel injection and 700r4 youde be happier i think.i know i am

Ya I think ive made my decision to go with the 700r4 over the richmond. But....I do have a different dilemna. Now I need to decide if I want to go with the edelbrock performer MPFI setup, or if I want to go with a vortech supercharger with a carb.

I have two friends trying to convince me for one or the other...lol
This will be my primary car, but I dont do a ton of driving. So the fuel injection would be nice...gas mileage, on the fly tuning, quick cold starts, and just better technology...but then again, who doesnt want a blower!!!!

****...decisions decisions.

If you have the time and money go with the blower!! I know I am!

I have read about two setups like this.

#1 A 383 making 700+hp@~6k
**This engine was built for this purpose and pulled 500+hp NA
**They used 110 octane fuel, this one is not practical

#2 A 454 making 700+Hp as well
**This was a crate engine with a cam/intake and bolt ons. Something you could drive everyday

Just a few thoughts on the blower.

1. You are going to have to either buy pulleys for the serpintine system OR Move around the components on the car so that you can fit the blower in the engine bay. Thats gonna take some time and some Tylenol.

2. Now you gotta figure out if it fits in a shark. I honestly don't know if it has the clearence for the blower. These things seem to be mounted pretty high and you might have issuses with the hood. I know someone around here did it but it was a more modern LT1 engine not an older SBC. Could be wrong though, might want to ask around.

3. If you have the resources make sure you can REALLY tune that engine.

Just some of the things I have thought about when I am going to try it out.

FWIW I am going with a 400c.i. with a ~9:1CR with aluminum heads.

Frank

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom